Should I close this window in winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LOVEIGEE, Nov 28, 2011.

1. LOVEIGEE

LOVEIGEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I have been reading a lot about ventilation especially in the winter. We cut a heart at the top part of the coop like this one and wonder what ya'll think about keeping it open or putting plexiglass over it. Last year it got to about 14 or 15 for a week. Normally our winters are 20-30ish. Thank you for any advice.[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Are the roosts up high? Then I would cover the heart, to cut down on the drafts. The triangle looks like enough ventilation, for a small coop, in those temps.

Imp

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If that is the only ventilation, do NOT cover it up! Ventilation is even more important in the winter, or the warm, moist air from the chickens' breathing will create condensation and that will freeze, usually on their combs and wattles. Also, it allows the ammonia from their poo to escape.

Okay, I defer to Imp. But do remember why ventilation is necessary in winter. If the triangle will do it, then cover the heart.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Make it a hinged cover. The temperature fluctuates so the being flexible wirh your vent is better.

5. LOVEIGEE

Jul 24, 2010
    We built ours with 2-nest boxes and we are using the other side (nest box area) for roosts. So, no, the roosts are not up high. That's why I was wondering if it would be better to leave open. The only ventilation are the 2 triangle holes in the top below the roof line.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Oh Gosh, Don't defer to me gryeyes. I'm just posting an opinion, and yours is valuble too.

OK, I went back for a second look. That looks like a small coop, but without a reference it's hard to tell. (It's beautiful BTW) Your sig says you have 12 chickens. That will be a lot of chicken breath. If they are not roosting directly in front of the heart, where a 15*F wind will be blowing on them then you are OK with not covering it. I like ECBW's idea of being flexible, in case of winter storms.

Imp

BTW- I also noticed that this is not a pix of your coop, correct? So take that into account also. Good luck.

7. LOVEIGEE

Jul 24, 2010
    Thank you so much for all your advice......4 of mine are babies......awwwwww.....too cute! They are in the brooder in my bedroom....They are a month old today in fact....Last year we did have the high ladder roosts in the main floor area and did close the heart, but with the roosts on the other side of the coop, I figured they might need the extra ventilation and the door shut. The coop is 6 x 4, but they only sleep there since our weather is not way too bad (knock on wood). They have a run that is 9 x 12....yes....we built one just like that one, except we have a nest box area on each side. We made the roosts lower due to one of the dominiques (sp) having trouble with a little lameness. They stay outside until I get home from work and then they are out in the backyard with me.....I just love ya'll! We are extending the side a lot more come spring when the babies are ready to head out......will definitely need the extra room.......I love my chickens....[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I wouldn't mess with it unless the cold wind is blowing on the birds. One of my coops is three sided but positioned to block the harsh winds & the birds do fine. I always figure birds wear their jackets for a reason but nobody likes the cold wind blowing on them not even chickens. In the summer my birds spread out on the roost on cold nights they buddy up. It seems like they fight all day then when they roost their all buddy's all the sudden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by