Should I convince him to let me keep birds?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Alright, I asked the bf if I could get quail. He said no. A few days later, he mentioned something about my quail. I can't remember what it was, but it had sounded like he was assuming that I'd have some eventually. So, I waited awhile, then mentioned them again. I got a no. His brother told me that if I ask every once in awhile, he'll say yes. His brother has no issues with it (his brother lives with us), and supports my side, since quail really don't make much noise, don't need much space, and because I'd be caring for them completely and they'd supply a little bit of food for the family. BF's only issue that he has brought up is because they make noise... I've explained to him that they really don't, made him listen to the crowing on video, etc. Now, BF is reasonable, generally, if there isn't an issue or a reason to say no, he won't. Before I moved in, I had been living with my mother. She made me get rid of my three remaining button quail and my female dove. I almost cried when I had to get rid of them, and he said "just wait, be patient, we plan on having you move in at the end of November". Plus, he had mentioned something about building pens when we went to drop the birds off at my friend's place. He's not the kind of guy who makes comments like that when he doesn't mean it. So... I REALLY want to raise quail again. I mean, really, really. His brother keeps telling me to keep asking him. I dropped a few hints, like, I had one of his friends ask him when the quail pens were being built (as a joke), and later put a picture of baby coturnix quail as the background for the computer (it's still there, btw). I would be caring 100% for the birds, neighbors wouldn't be an issue, plus I can get eggs free, I still have a brooder, incubator/hatcher and some of that type of stuff. I would need to build a pen, but he can get free scrap lumber. That would leave me with needing wire, which is $7 and the feed, which is $17/50lbs. Maybe a tin roof, depending on what he can find. Anyways, I'm not sure if I should press it or not. [​IMG] I really don't understand what the issue is, however, I don't want to treat him with disrespect either... Any advice?!

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

You're asking the wrong group of people!!

My hubby's response to the new chicks in the living room: "You're a dead woman!!"

but no really, he's ok with them when they don't wake him up. lol

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I'm no help I would've said, baby I'm getting some quail next week, can I borrow your drill?

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Lol. Tala, this is exactly the group to talk to. You guys know how bad that itch is to have birds. If I had asked another group, they'd probably think that I was a jerk or an idiot, lol.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

He has to understand that this important to you and respect it, just like you are respecting him by asking permission. If that doesn't work, do it anyways. Easier to ask forgiveness than persmission. [​IMG]

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Deb there's a reason we get along so well....

she's been asking, it's now time to move onto telling.

7. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Always. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I don't have that problem with Ken - he start the whole chicken thing.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Lol. Tala, this is exactly the group to talk to. You guys know how bad that itch is to have birds. If I had asked another group, they'd probably think that I was a jerk or an idiot, lol.

So you really don't want advice

What you're asking for is enablers!

In that case, you've come to exactly the right place!

Quote:I agree!​

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I agree, you went about it all wrong..
    you tell him..dont ask. Tell him that your getting them..its your home too.
    And that you'll be responsible for them all. Youre an adult..dont ask permission for anything..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by