Should I cover vents with screens?

Fox and the Hen

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2016
Hi folks,

I am in the process of finishing up the final touches on my coop and I have put lots of nice ventilation by not having the walls go all the way to the roof. I was thinking of covering these large vents with some spare screen I have laying around to help keep some of the flies, bugs, etc. out of the coop. However, someone recently mentioned to me that having the screen may also trap dust and dander etc.inside the coop which would not be a good thing.

Can anyone share their advice or experiences please.

Thanks

Fox and the Hen

I would use hardware cloth over vents for predator/pest protection. Chickens will eat the bugs. Skip the screens IMO.

Hi folks,

Thank you for the responses. I guess I should have been more clear, my intention was to cover the openings with hardware cloth as well. Absolutely agree that is the best defence against predators. Not sure if this changes anyone's answer or not, but just wanted to clarify.

Fox and the Hen

I'm still in the midst of building my coop. I just got it dried in last weekend. Over the past couple of days I've had every wasp, yellow jacket and bumble bee in the area invade the coop. I'm definitely going to screen over the hardware cloth on my ventilation openings to try and slow down the invasion. Even if they don't bother the chickens they will certainly bother my wife.

Last edited:
Screening will accumulate an incredible amount of dust, and need wiping often. Consider some bug spray high up in the coop before the chickens move in, and the birds will eat those insects later. Mary

Non-Toxic Wasp Spray/Repellant

• 2 cups of water
  • 1 teaspoon of peppermint oil
  • 1 teaspoon of dish soap

Combine all of these ingredients together into your spray bottle. Wait until the very early morning hours, or late at night when it looks like they’re sleeping, then shake and spray.

You might need to apply the solution twice, but they will fall to the ground and die within seconds.

Spray around coop as a repellent.

Also works wonders to repel spiders and flies.

I keep a bottle in the coop and spray whatever whenever regularly.

For my sake, my coop has no bug issues.

Last edited:
Non-Toxic Wasp Spray/Repellant

• 2 cups of water
  • 1 teaspoon of peppermint oil
  • 1 teaspoon of dish soap

Combine all of these ingredients together into your spray bottle. Wait until the very early morning hours, or late at night when it looks like they’re sleeping, then shake and spray.

You might need to apply the solution twice, but they will fall to the ground and die within seconds.

Spray around coop as a repellent.

Also works wonders to repel spiders and flies.

I keep a bottle in the coop and spray whatever whenever regularly.

For my sake, my coop has no bug issues.

Thanks for the recipe, Ron. We will give that a try.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom