should i cull and start over?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by okiemamachick, Mar 26, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    hello ive never had to deal with much poultry illness my birds have never had respiratory infection or mites or anything like that. I was down to two leghorns (due to neighbors dog) and decided to get some hens from craigslist (yeah I know now) so I got 4 hens that were about 8 months old around thanksgiving 2014 and a rooster/hen pair as well (from another person) I did not quarantine because never having dealt with buying adult birds or having sick birds its never been an issue and I was ignorant. Anyway everything seemed ok pecking order was established etc. now that spring has sprung I believe they have mites I haven't actually seen the mites but my flock is starting to have random feathers that are for lack of a better word disrupted like I can tell they've been itching themselves and one girls is starting to get bare above her tail (though this could be from the rooster mating) one hen im 80% sure has scaly leg mites and one hen is sneezing and sounds congested. Everything ive read is even if they get through whatever virus she has my flock will still be carriers which im bummed about I LITERALLY just moved a clutch of chicks into the coop they are separated and cant be harmed by the bigger birds but they are by no means safe from germs from them and I have a second intermediate coop not 4 foot away from the big coop ;( the grown chickens usually get to free range but ive kept them cooped up the past two days because I put some oxytetracycline in their water and wanted to make sure they got it instead of heading to a puddle or something. but now im wondering if turning them loose so they aren't in close quarters with the sneezing chicken is better...all my pens are full right now with broods of different ages (typically I would have space to isolate her) but now I don't. I said all that to say if they are going to be carriers of this coughing/sneezing that means any new birds I bring in (mostly hatching my own now) will in turn catch this right? what should I do? Im going to pick up some tylan 50 (if I can find some) and start injections as per suggested in some threads I read but it also said they will fall sick every time they are stressed out and I don't want a flock that will need antibiotics probably regularly :( I feel lost ive been working so hard this year to increase my flock size buying chicks at tsc as well as hatching I don't want to start over :(

2. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Anyone?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You have multiple issues going on due to the fact you brought in birds from different sources which you acknowledged, lesson learned.
    Birds can look fine when you get them from other sources. Quarantining them far away from your existing flock wouldve been best. The stress from the move from one place to another wouldve most likely brought out the symptoms you're seeing. Even if they didnt show respiratory symptoms, you could treat the scaly leg mites, visually inspect for external parasites and treat accordingly as well as worming them. If they had showed respiratory symptoms while in quarantine, it wouldve been best to cull them and bury them deep or incinerate them. Then sanitize everything with oxine. You wouldve had to change clothes etc... to avoid spreading whatever respiratory disease it is to your existing flock. Mites look like pepper, black or red in color. The vent area is where they would most like be located. Lice can cause scratching and feather loss, they are an irritant.
    I recommend that you submit your sickest bird for necropsy to find out exactly what you're dealing with. The reason is that if you decide to cull your birds, you'll need to know what the course time is for that particular disease in order to repopulate. Some diseases stay in the environment for only a few days such as mycoplasma diseases, others stay much longer. You can contact your local extension office or state agriculture department to find out how to go about getting a bird tested.
    You have a pretty good idea how respiratory diseases work, how easy they spread, and you know about carrier birds. You also know medications and how to administer them....you have a tough decision to make...treat sick birds for life or cull. I cant make that decision for you. I wish you the best.

4. kssunflower

kssunflower Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    Do I understand correctly that you only have one sick hen? Isolate her away from the other birds and treat her. If the new birds have lived there over winter, they should have shown signs of sickness before this. I had a pullet start acting like she had a cold, I used VetRX on her and she is fine. Protect your flock and try to find out if she is really sick or just snuffly.

Mites happen - treat to get rid of them,if they are on the birds.

5. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Ok I need to find out my state necropsy place probably osu I'm assuming:( ugh I hate the thought of this! Yes lesson learned for sure

6. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Yes it's just her. I was wondering why no symptoms have been shown until now I mean I would have thought to see SOMETHING befor now as far as the respiratory thing is concerned. I've been treating for mites with ivermectin pour on and liquid 7 in the coop maybe I should treat again. I will rug something up to separate her I have vet rx and have already been giving her oxytetracycline in their water. Hopefully I can figure this out.

7. kssunflower

kssunflower Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015

A dog carrier works well to put one chicken in. Maybe put it in the garage?

I hope you get it figured out quick and it is not serious. If she does die or others start getting sick, I agree that getting tests done so you know what you are dealing with is important. You will know what meds are best, etc.

Biosecurity is a pain, but the consequences of being unguarded can be worse, I know.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote: Yes it's just her. I was wondering why no symptoms have been shown until now I mean I would have thought to see SOMETHING befor now as far as the respiratory thing is concerned. I've been treating for mites with ivermectin pour on and liquid 7 in the coop maybe I should treat again. I will rug something up to separate her I have vet rx and have already been giving her oxytetracycline in their water. Hopefully I can figure this out.
    Give it time and you'll know soon enough if it spreads. Different respiratory diseases have different incubation times.
    You need to get the mite problem taken care of. Mites suck blood causing anemia weakening the chickens immune system which can open the door to respiratory disease infection....not only that, mites alone can cause death.
    One other possibility if no respiratory disease symptoms appear, say within several weeks time frame...it could be a fungal problem in which case it is treatable with oxine.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  9. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Would a average sized tote with a laundry basket on top be big enough? I don't really have a garage. I have 3 chick's in my living room in the brooder can I bring the hen inside if I keep her in the kitchen in the tote basket combo? And practice sanitary measures? I'm worried about keeping her in such a small space more than a day or two will she be ok?

10. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Mold is a possibility or fungus our coop is old and has leak issues (we are turning an outdoor she'd into a new coop as we speak. I have even had mushrooms grow on the outside of the nesting boxes on the exterior part. I've never had any wetness issues till this year but the coop is getting old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by