Should I cull weak, runt chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HickoryGuy, Feb 23, 2011.

1. HickoryGuy

HickoryGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Hickory, NC
    Basics: 4-day old Light Sussex chick. Wasn't able to get out of shell on it's own. Helped it out fairly easily after giving it 24+ hours. Half the size of other chicks. Very obvious lack of vigor, which explains hatching problem. Sleeps & peeps constant, haven't seen it really eat or drink. Will stand up and walk a bit, then lays right back down and goes to sleep while other chicks are running around.

I just feel bad for this little guy. Not sure whether to give him some time or just do the deed and move forward. Input?

2. the Precious Ladies

the Precious Ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Maryland
    Myself, personally, would give the little chicky time. Does the chick seem to be in pain though?

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I'd cull him. I keep only the strong, vigorous chicks.

4. HickoryGuy

Jan 27, 2010
    Hickory, NC
    I see no obvious defects or pain-causing problems. But he does peep alot. He's knows to go right under the heat lamp when he's not warm enough. I've tried to hand feed/water with minimal luck.

5. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i had the same problem 2wks ago with a chick but she is doing really well now & keeping up with the others. i was also thinking of culling but im glad i didnt now

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I had a runt. After a week you couldnt tell him from the others. He is now my lavender roo that is huge and beautiful. Give him awhile. As long as you can get him to eat and drink, and he doesnt appear to be in pain, give him a chance. ( or her)

7. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I hatched out a very small chick and for weeks it was half the size of the others... all of a sudden he grew and now you can't tell him apart in size from the rest. I did baby him a bit... I gave him special attention, gave him poly-vi-sol baby vitamins once a day, and water from a syringe a couple times a day to be sure he was being hydrated. I didn't force him, he would take the drops from the end of the syringe.

Tiny Tim peeped a lot too... but today is a very friendly and healthy roo. My time is baby-ing him was not wasted.

Diana

8. HickoryGuy

Jan 27, 2010
    Hickory, NC
    I tend to agree with keeping only strong ones. I just got him to eat a drop of yolk. I'll try to work with him a bit... thanks for all the insight, folks.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    A.T. Hagan :

I'd cull him. I keep only the strong, vigorous chicks.

Second that, end it's misery.​

10. Kavellion

Kavellion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    I go with the stuff from kids books. The little runt that could or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by