Should I cull?

hollymh

*A Scrambled Egg*
15 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
I have a newly hatched silkie about 1 and half day old, he has deformed feet, he can't walk and he chokes every time I let him have water. Should I cull? He hasn't really moved since he was hatched...
EDIT: He also cannot or will not open his eyes?

Last edited:
oh my Im so sorry--For me I would wait another day or so and then see how he is? If you have time to really baby him and watch him closely for food and water-maybe he is a late bloomer and his eyes will open in a day and his feet will work its way to being normal? being cramped in those shells cant be easy tostraighten out for some... If he wasn't ANY better in 2 days-I would cull him as muchas I would hate it...

He will just linger and die. I would end his suffering.
sad.png
A sharp scissor and a bag and it is over in seconds. Sorry about having to cull him. It is never easy.

Miss Pissy is unfortunately right. Weak and deformed babies never really make it. They just suffer and eventually pass.

Some on here use baking soda and vinegar to cull. Please do a search on culling. If you can stand the scissors it is the best way, but be sure they are sharp.

Sorry for your bad hatch. It does happen.

Ouch..maybe I was speaking too soon..I have not been faced with it yet but I always feel I have this pathetic healing thing-and for the most part I have been right but for this instance I guess I was wrong, wasn't thinking of whats best for the chick and it's pain and suffering-thinking of selfish needs? Either way Im sorry for your loss~

hmm.png
Well, my husband agreed to do this one for me; although I was told this will be the first and last time and it will be up to me from now on to cull. We are going to, well there's no way to put it nicely, but chop his head off with our machete, is that a good painless way?

Last edited:
Quote:
I know me too, I alway want to wait and give them a chance... This poor guy though he just look awful, he just sits and gasps for air
hit.gif
I just don't think it was meant to be for him...

hit.gif
ooh The gasping for air would make me cull it immediatly. The closed eyes wouldnt stop me from keeping it nor the crooked feet-just in case I could help with CONTRAPTION od some sort to straighten it out-the gasping though--I work as a supervisor in an animal facility-and thats the one thing I hate witnessing-the gasping- it is painful to them-all their energy goes into trying to take a breath-nothing else would heal nor can it eat or drink if it's that bad--I've culled I dont even want to admit how many Ive had to put down ( MICE) but nothing bigger than that-again Im so sorry-I would do it now for you and him..

My husband is taking care of it now, I carried the lil baby out and my sweet honey took over from there... Poor baby
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom