Should I cull?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SarahFair, May 25, 2010.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I have a chick that is just been stuggling since it hatched.
    Its "knee cap" seems to be part way down the back of the leg and its kind of swollen. He lays on his side and usually has his eyes closed.
    There is also this sort of "ticking" when he breaths. You can also see a little spot where all of his yolk didnt get absorbed..

I dont know what to do for him. I cant slip the "knee cap" back up like I have with other chicks [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:How long has it been since he hatched? Did he have a rough hatch (ie: did he need help)?

3. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Its been since sunday so 2-3 days..
    No, he didnt need help

4. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    Quote:I think it really depends on why you keep chickens and how you personally feel. If you feel it is suffering with little to no chance of a decent adulthood, then cull. If you keep chickens as treasured pets and you think it stands a chance and is not suffering, and are willing do everything you can even for the rest of it's life, dont cull. I keep my chickens as livestock and if one is born with an obvious disability than I cull it as I wont be breeding it or expecting it to be a good producer of eggs / meat. I really think this is a personal choice.

5. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Is there anything I can do to pop that knee thing back up there?
    Ive tried pushing, twisting, etc

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    You're not doing yourself any favors by keeping 'special needs' chicks nor does it sound like it's going to be able to lead a normal chicken life. I'd cull it.

7. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I also have a special needs chick, which I did not expect to make it this far. She has really short legs, and is kind of dumpy looking, compared to the others. She has also always breathed twice as fast as the others. Everyone else is fine, healthy and running around. she just stands there, until I reach for her, and she runs away. She is now breathing with her beak a little open, it seems more labored. I think she has a little heart defect or something. Bless her heart.

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    It sounds like the little one has more than just the leg problem. I would cull it and put it out of it's misery. It may later also get picked on for being different. Is it eating/drinking?

9. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    It was near death so I just ended up culling it..

10. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm sorry. It can be hard sometimes to make that decision. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by