should I cull?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Minniechickmama, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have plenty of Buckeye boys, but this one is probably the best looking one. However, I am thinking I should cull him because of the comb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    oops

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Its not the tightest pea comb I've ever seen but what do your others combs look like?

4. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I know, it is big and sort of floppy, almost like a bit of single trying to eek out.
    The others' combs all look great, but this is the best looking cockerel in other respects. [​IMG]

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    There is more to a chicken than his comb or the color of his legs!!!!

I learned that one from an old timer. It has served me well thru the years. I think you need it too.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Combs are much easier to correct than other things. Make sure you breed him to hens with really good combs, and you should get chicks with better combs than his.

7. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Quote:Maybe it's just me, but if his comb is the only problem, I would keep him, especially if he is broad across the lower back (transfers to progeny and makes good egg layers). Combs are much easier to work out with a few good matings than trying to get a great shape and great color ... at least it seems that way for me. You just have to be willing to hatch out a few more chicks than you might want to. And raise them up to the point where you can decide on the comb. I imagine, if you have Buckeyes, that you won't mind eating a few, so hatching out 25-50 might not be a big deal. Getting his genetics, if they're good, into your flock is what you want. The comb is small potatoes, imo, at this point. I guess it depends on your economics and goals and if you think it would be easier to make sure all the combs are correct before you start working on color, size, etc.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=9280-Comb_Genetics
    Helpful page for comb genetics all in one place that easy for me to understand. (Thanks to The Chicken Lady)

8. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thank you, everyone!
    I won't mind hatching a 'few' eggs out of the Buckeyes, I love the breed and am always talking them up to newbies who just need a few for their backyard. They are so friendly in addition to all their other great qualities.
    I will keep him then. He is a nice looking, very balanced boy. Most of them are very nice in this group though. I got them from a good source, so it helps. They are penned with Std. Cochins and they approach me when I go in where the Cochins are a bit standoffish.
    I just wish I could have gotten them about 3 months earlier this year.
    Thanks again, folks. I really appreciate your input.
    Theri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by