Should I cut into this bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katelk, Oct 29, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    One of my girls is dealing with bumblefoot on both feet. I went to do the surgery, and one went well. I cut the scab off and squeezed out the pus, etc.
    However, when I got to the other bumblefoot, I cut off the scab, but it seemed to only be skin deep and did not leave her foot open like the other one. I got all of the scab, but it did not penetrate into her foot, so no blood or pus. I wasn't sure what to do and didn't want to needlessly hurt her, so I just left it at that and bandaged it with Vetericyn VF.
    Question is, do I need to go deeper and cut into the foot? I did a lot of research and was under the impression that the removal of the scab would open the foot for necessary cleaning?
    Also, is it better to cut out a "plug" or more of like a slit or X shape to clean out the foot?

2. moms3cuties

moms3cuties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Mesa Az
    that is a good question, hopefully somebody with experience on this or vet assistant can answer this one. I'd also like to know the answer. Adopted one hen that had Bumblefoot when I got her. :(

3. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

Interestingly, this lady had bumblefoot when I bought her as well. I usually never buy birds, but wanted to add another color to my flock so I bought 2 pullets from someone I know from BYC. Turned out when I got them home and gave them a closer inspection, they both had bumblefoot on both feet. :rolleyes: What a pain, especially since I have never dealt with this before!

To update on this though, I literally just now went and changed her bandages. The foot where the scab appeared only skin deep has now formed a new scab that is not quite as dark, but still brown. SO I guess I will be cutting into that foot experimentally tomorrow unless someone tells me different. The other foot looks a touch better.
    I still want to know the best incision type though. Cutting a plug out or just a slit or X shape. The plug style seems so traumatic and gruesome, although having to dig into a slit or X shape isn't pleasant either. Ugh. Poor babies. :/

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  4. rnchick74

rnchick74 Urban Chick Keeper

May 3, 2014
    Louisville KY
    I would cut all around the scab slightly bigger in diameter & down into the foot. You have to remove all of the plug & get all of the staph infection out.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2. I once removed a scab on the foot pad of a hen to which no infection existed underneath it. Epsom salts as a warm soak do work very well. Dry the bird well after to prevent chilling as some may get more than just the foot and leg wet, haha. Keeping roosts about 18" off the floor, and using clean, deep shavings on the floor of coops helps prevent bumblefoot, since they jump off the roosts quite often. Some shavings are lesser quality, with splinters in them which can cause problems. If you open a bale of litter, see numerous splinters among the shavings, let the manager of the feed store know as well as the manufacturer of the shavings. Find another brand of better quality. The only way to keep these outfits up to par is by demanding quality.

7. moms3cuties

moms3cuties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Mesa Az

Thank you both!!!! :)

8. Bob G

Bob G Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2013
    Northwest Florida
    I applaud what you are trying to do. I'm a new chicken papa, but from what I've read and watched here, I suggest you soak the feet in a warm Epsom salt bath for about twenty minutes to get started. I highly recommend you watch the videos on YouTube also because they are excellent tutorials. I've watched them so many times I can just about quote what they say. Good luck with your babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by