Should I destroy the flock?

KathieL

In the Brooder
May 22, 2015
I purchased 25 hens that were about 1 year or less. They are constantly sick, rattling in their chest, running bubbly sinuses, diarrhea in some, worms in poop that I have seen only 1 time. They had lice when I bought them, too. I've given them batril for the rattling in the chest and bubbly sinuses. I've used ivomec by mouth for 3 weeks in a row for worms. I've used a spray that I got from the vet for the lice. I'm wondering if I should just destroy the whole flock and start again? I've got a lot of money sunk in them at this point. One vet just wants to shrug it off and another vet charged me $125 to check 1 hen I took to him and for the medication I got from him. I gave $150 for the hens to begin with.

If I destroy the flock, how on earth am I going to get the ground clean again where they have free ranged? I can clean and disinfect the hen house and the fenced hen yard but what about where they have roamed on the farm? Will the sun take care of that?

I've posted on another site and have been told I should have checked out the seller before I bought them, told me not to eat the eggs, etc. I know NOW that I have made a big mistake by buying them, but I don't know what to do from here.

Sorry to go on and on, but this has been an expensive mistake I made by buying them. I just do not know what to do from here.

I purchased 25 hens that were about 1 year or less. They are constantly sick, rattling in their chest, running bubbly sinuses, diarrhea in some, worms in poop that I have seen only 1 time. They had lice when I bought them, too. I've given them batril for the rattling in the chest and bubbly sinuses. I've used ivomec by mouth for 3 weeks in a row for worms. I've used a spray that I got from the vet for the lice. I'm wondering if I should just destroy the whole flock and start again? I've got a lot of money sunk in them at this point. One vet just wants to shrug it off and another vet charged me $125 to check 1 hen I took to him and for the medication I got from him. I gave $150 for the hens to begin with.

If I destroy the flock, how on earth am I going to get the ground clean again where they have free ranged? I can clean and disinfect the hen house and the fenced hen yard but what about where they have roamed on the farm? Will the sun take care of that?

I've posted on another site and have been told I should have checked out the seller before I bought them, told me not to eat the eggs, etc. I know NOW that I have made a big mistake by buying them, but I don't know what to do from here.

Sorry to go on and on, but this has been an expensive mistake I made by buying them. I just do not know what to do from here.
Are any of the birds healthy? A hard situation. Good luck.

Last edited:
Without knowing what is causing the illness it is hard to tell you what you could do to clean it up. Some states have programs through the department of agriculture that would help identify pathogen. Someone in your state forum may be able to help you with finding out if there is a program in your state.

Some of them seem to be healthy, but the vet told me they have a virus that, even if other hens do not show symptoms, they have it and will be a carrier so if I put other birds with them, those birds will get the virus as well.

Some of them seem to be healthy, but the vet told me they have a virus that, even if other hens do not show symptoms, they have it and will be a carrier so if I put other birds with them, those birds will get the virus as well.

The vet said they are carriers for a virus? What is the name of the virus?

Last edited:
Firstly...I am so very sorry to hear of your awful experience...

I would ask if you intend to use the chickens for egg production or are they for human consumption ?

If you are in the USA the FDA recommend that no chicken is used for eating...maybe look up their advice on egg and meat consumption and make your decision on what to do from now on...

I have heard from many sources that after 28 days that any eggs are safe to eat...a viral infection will never respond to antibiotics, only bacterial infections will...so why did the Vet prescribe Baytril?

I think you should wait it out for now...maybe try some Wild Oregano Oil to treat them all...give it a month or so and see how things progress...we can and often do have to deal with issues that we have no or little knowledge of...the learning curve is steep at times...

I wish you luck and the courage to continue with helping your new flock!

Suzie

I agree with Suzie. These birds were not cared for properly in their previous home, they were in bad shape and very very stressed. That sort of stress can often trigger respiratory problems but that doesn't mean they will never recover.

If the vet cannot tell you exactly what virus is involved then I would question any blanket statement saying "they will always be carriers". My several of my birds had a horrid nasty cold last summer a year ago, they were hacking and wheezing for a week shortly after a new bantam was introduced. They all recovered and are perfectly healthy now.

Since you have invested so much in these girls I would give them a bit more time. Also I don't think Ivermectin will kill every type of intestinal parasite so that may be why you treated them 3 times and they still have worms.

Last edited:
Well, that sounds encouraging. I've tried so hard to make them healthy again. They are on no medication now and have not been for about 3 months. We are using the eggs, but each time I break an egg in the skillet I can't help but wonder if it's okay to eat it with them wheezing, diarreah, worms and sinus infection. It's not the medication in the eggs I'm concerned about, it's the health of the hens. I will only ever use the hens for eggs, not for meat.

Thanks so much for the encouragement.

How would I use the Wild Oregano Oil? I have no idea how to use it and how much to give them, how often or how long.

Back
Top Bottom