Should I discard eggs and if so how long.

Redheadhomestead

Songster
Jul 4, 2022
Nc 🇺🇸
Hey all to make a long story short I had some birds get out and free range in an area I had put down some ant killer granular. When I saw them they were pecking at it as if it was food. This was a couple days ago and the chickens are fine. I don’t really think they ate much as I caught them pretty quick. Should I discard the eggs and if so how long. I’m sure the answer might differ for different medications but I’m just looking form a general rule of thumb unless me going to see what the active ingredient in the ant killer is will change your answer in which case I can do that.

Thanks in advance!

Hey all to make a long story short I had some birds get out and free range in an area I had put down some ant killer granular. When I saw them they were pecking at it as if it was food. This was a couple days ago and the chickens are fine. I don’t really think they ate much as I caught them pretty quick. Should I discard the eggs and if so how long. I’m sure the answer might differ for different medications but I’m just looking form a general rule of thumb unless me going to see what the active ingredient in the ant killer is will change your answer in which case I can do that.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
FIRST no chems if you have animals or kids 2 chickens eat ants if you use the chickens to cure the ant problem the you wouldn't be questioning the egg delema but look at size of ant and size of chicken they woud have had to eaten quite an amount to be danger danger will robenson when in doubt throw it out youll get more eggs and you will see if afected the chickens just get ride of chems

Welcome to BYC. If you put your general location into your profile it will be useful when you ask questions because climate matters for many things.

I've been wondering about the potential toxicity of Amdro to chickens myself because the fire ants are just crazy this summer and I have some wild and crazy POL pullets flying out of my run from time to time right now.

FIRST no chems if you have animals or kids 2 chickens eat ants

Welcome to BYC. Please add your general location to your profile. Climate matters and we can answer your questions better when we know what sort of general conditions you face.

From your comment here I'm guessing that you live in an area blessedly free of fire ants. :) Unfortunately, there are no reliable way to get rid of those horrible, invasive monsters other than to use chemical ant killers -- which sometimes take multiple repeat treatments.

The boiling water treatment that works on many kinds of ants is not as effective on fire ants due to the nature of their nests and colonies and getting that close for long enough to apply it risks being severely bitten. :(

Fire ants are a hazard to chickens, sometimes invading nests to kill chicks and broodies.

FIRST no chems if you have animals or kids 2 chickens eat ants if you use the chickens to cure the ant problem the you wouldn't be questioning the egg delema but look at size of ant and size of chicken they woud have had to eaten quite an amount to be danger danger will robenson when in doubt throw it out youll get more eggs and you will see if afected the chickens just get ride of chems
I think you misunderstood the question I’m not asking if chemicals are good for chickens nor am I asking if I should throw chemicals away. I will continue to treat invasive species coming into my home whether you are pro chemical or not. I treat fire ants which have eaten my 3 year old alive as well as termites species in wood piles. I don’t treat in or around the coop (obviously) my birds got out and we’re free ranging outside of the fence they are usually always in and they made their way up to the house perimeter where I had treated. That’s where the dilemma arose.

Furthermore I am in doubt and do want to throw it out which is why I came here to figure out how long I need dispose of eggs, if that is the recommendation. “If in doubt throw it out” doesn’t mean much when I just make some random assumption/guess that one day is enough to waste when in reality it might need 2,3,5 etc days.

Also I’ll try to update my profile but my location is southeast usa

I wouldn't think more than a a day or two, they surely didn't eat much. What's in your ant killer? Some of it is corn based so swapping brands might help keep chickens out or using just non instant grits (the grits swell in their belly and they pop) where chickens can get.

I’m definitely ok with swapping brands and would love to use something less toxic if effective. I actually just found this thread and I figured I would post it here Just to tie a bow on the topic incase someone comes behind me.

My Terro ant killers active ingredient is .04% lambda cyhalothrin and apparently is has a very lox toxicity to birds. See below thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...in-04-treated-ant-hill.1537572/#post-25939283

I came here to figure out how long I need dispose of eggs, if that is the recommendation. “If in doubt throw it out” doesn’t mean much when I just make some random assumption/guess that one day is enough to waste when in reality it might need 2,3,5 etc days.
There is likely no definite number for withdrawal days for eggs as it has probably never been studied.

Not all chickens will eat all ants

Back
Top Bottom