should I disinfect or not ?

mumofsix

Songster
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
Appalachian
My Barn / Chicken House has been empty for a year or so . Should I Disinfect it or Pressure wash it . the floors have vinyl rugs . Had no trouble with Diseases before . it's been locked up with no Animals inside . If I do disinfect it will be a couple months before I restock it with livestock . What's Everyone's take on this

Since the barn/Chicken house is so Big I've decided to Pressure wash it using Bleach .Then since I have seen several places the Vinegar kills mold I'm going to spray the inside with Vinegar a few days before I restock . Thanks for the replies
Does the inside have mold? If it does, then you need to treat that now, don't wait until it's time for chicks to arrive.
Bleach will kill mold too, but you need to have time to let it all dry and air out.

If the inside is molded, then you need to figure out why too. Leaky roof, not enough ventilation, etc.

Does the inside have mold? If it do need to treat that now, don't wait until it's time for chicks to arrive.
Bleach will kill mold too, but you need to have time to let it all dry and air out.

If the inside is molded, then you need to figure out why too. Leaky roof, not enough ventilation, etc.
No There is No Mold
Does the inside have mold? If it does, then you need to treat that now, don't wait until it's time for chicks to arrive.

There is No Mold, No leaks , Never had any problem with Mice . Ventilation is Great. It has Several Windows that I also open that's covered with rat wire . Plus section of the floor is Rat wire , Just wanting to start with a Very Clean coop The Chicks won't go there for a couple months , They will be living in the Garage in a New built house I just Finished this weekend

Last edited:
My Barn / Chicken House has been empty for a year or so . Should I Disinfect it or Pressure wash it . the floors have vinyl rugs . Had no trouble with Diseases before . it's been locked up with no Animals inside . If I do disinfect it will be a couple months before I restock it with livestock . What's Everyone's take on this
Update : Here's The Thing There Is Only dust in the Barn /Chicken House No Leaks. No Other Issues ,No Mice , I had to get rid of My Chickens due to personal Issues . The Building just has been Empty for sometime . It's built excellent , Vinyl Rugs on most of the Flooring Except below roosting area , that is covered with (cloth ) Rat wire , 6 large Windows there are opened as needed for Ventilation Also Covered .It also has a Section of Wall that opens in the middle and folds back on Hinges for cooling .Also Covered in (Cloth Rat Wire ). it has Electric to use warmers in the winter to keep the water from Freezing , It's got fans for summer and heat lights for winter. They get Clean Containers every 3 days for Their water .I've had People tell Me that My Chickens live Better then They do . It was cleaned the last time it was used ,I've swept it out this past weekend ,No leaks just a couple Spiders and webs . I just wanted to make sure When I move them there from their new House I just finished this weekend (in my Garage ) that Their New home will be perfect .

No There is No Mold

There is No Mold, No leaks , Never had any problem with Mice . Ventilation is Great. It has Several Windows that I also open that's covered with rat wire . Plus section of the floor is Rat wire , Just wanting to start with a Very Clean coop The Chicks won't go there for a couple months , They will be living in the Garage in a New built house I just Finished this weekend

Update : Here's The Thing There Is Only dust in the Barn /Chicken House No Leaks. No Other Issues ,No Mice , I had to get rid of My Chickens due to personal Issues . The Building just has been Empty for sometime . It's built excellent , Vinyl Rugs on most of the Flooring Except below roosting area , that is covered with (cloth ) Rat wire , 6 large Windows there are opened as needed for Ventilation Also Covered .It also has a Section of Wall that opens in the middle and folds back on Hinges for cooling .Also Covered in (Cloth Rat Wire ). it has Electric to use warmers in the winter to keep the water from Freezing , It's got fans for summer and heat lights for winter. They get Clean Containers every 3 days for Their water .I've had People tell Me that My Chickens live Better then They do . It was cleaned the last time it was used ,I've swept it out this past weekend ,No leaks just a couple Spiders and webs . I just wanted to make sure When I move them there from their new House I just finished this weekend (in my Garage ) that Their New home will be perfect .
That's great!
If it's in good shape and has just been sitting for a while, just wipe it down and vacuum up a bit.
Doesn't sound like it needs a deep cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom