Should I do it or hire a groomer.

gaited horse

Merry Christmas!
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Fernley, NV
Should I give my moms cat a lion clip she is all matted and we want to get her a lion cut. What size blade do I use? we have human clippers will they work on a cat? if so which blade should I use?

Its harder then you think hun. I tried to shave my cat with fur matts and i ended up slicing open her skin under the matt..
sad.png

I'd just bring her this time...THEN...once shes all set..you can keep up with it...good luck!

Groomers or a vet.

Cats can be tricky, some even needing sedation. I've bathed many sedated kitties while working at the vets. They would sedate them, give them to me, I'd wash them and then send it to the groomer to be finished.
wink.png

Plus at the vets they have several people that can hold the cat.

I know I have to keep on top of my dog's butts (I know that didn't sound right) because they have that kind of fur that gets matted up.... you can knick them with the clippers and cut the skin....

usually the reason you knick a animal with clippers is because your not holding the clippers correctly,,if you hold them so you keep the blade flat on the animal you shouldnt cut the skin,let the clippers do the work,dont try to hurry them..I wouldnt try it with a human clippers,,I have done cats some are really hard to hold,some arent to bad.

Professional groomer here...have it done by a groomer who knows how to handle cats. Cats are frequently injured by both their owners and inexperienced vet techs when they attempt grooming them. I have seen some really bad wounds on cats due to inexperienced novices. Once your cat has been clipped have the groomer show you how to keep your cat properly combed out. It takes about 10 minutes once a week to keep a cat mat free for its entire life. Best wishes and good luck

I had a stray cat in my back yard. This spring she was one solid mat from her ears to the tip of her tail. I started slowly trimming it as she would allow with scissors. She would pull at it also. It took about 4-5 weeks and it was gone except for her tail. She was completely bald all summer. Now her fur has grown back in. Since she's about 18 yo and good in the house, she gets to spend whatever time she has left in a warm house. I agree with the other posts. It would be better to let the pros handle it. I have also cut cats trying to demat them. For the pets now I don't let them get bad. Good luck.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom