Should I do surgery to a 4 week old chick to remove a birth defect? ph

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arianna, Jun 24, 2011.

1. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have a 4 week old Mille Fleur D’uccle pullet, healthy and very sweet from McMurray. Unfortunately she has a birth defect on one of her wings. There is a “second wing end” grown on top of her wing. It has some bone in it and blood vessels, but it’s limping. I cut off the top of the feathers from this “extra wing” to see it better, and it looks like if I could only removed that extra wing she will have a normal wing. This is a very pretty bird with great potential, and I would like to attempt this surgery in the hope to give her a normal looking wing and a better chances to have a normal life, but I am concern about the pain and bleeding. Has anyone performed a similar surgery? What do you use to stop bleeding? I have a blood stop powder by Ideal but it's only for horses, cattle, sheep, cats and dogs, so I don't know if can be use on a chick. What about closing the wound, any suggestions? Can I give anything for pain?
    I am not going to do anything unless I have some positive replies.

[​IMG]
    in this photo you can see better the extra wing end
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I dont know about the wing issue but sounds just like pinioning to me. As far as the pain issue I dont believe theres anything you could do there. To stop the bleeding once pinioned you can use regular corn starch. Hope that haelps [​IMG]

3. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:What is pinioning?
    Thank you, Arianna

4. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Don't do it! Please don't cut your bird....she will suffer terribly! I think she can live a perfectly happy life with a small appendage defect....and the risks of DIY surgery are far too great. Just my opinion. I would just watch her grow and see what happens as far as her development and quality of life. If she shows no signs of discomfort I would just let it be.

5. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:x2

6. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    x3 [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  7. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Pinioning is where you remove the farthest wing section to keep a bird from flying. It is done fairly regular with waterfowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by