1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

should i eat the eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jeremy frenz, May 20, 2007.

1. jeremy frenz

jeremy frenz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    portland OR
    I went to the feed store and got some chicks and the lady said because I’m going to use medicated feed to throw away the eggs for the first three week's should I listen to her or should I eat the eggs? [​IMG]

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Ummm....I have never heard of that?? I am confused?? the eggs from these, or do you have other hens??

3. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Huh? Your chicks won't start laying until they are about 5-6 months old & they should be on layer feed by then anyway. She's loony. [​IMG]

4. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:that what I was thinking, unless the lady meant if she had older hens that would eat the chick feed. But even then I have never heard of not eating the eggs![​IMG]

5. jeremy frenz

Apr 8, 2007
    portland OR
    Critter Crazy the eggs from these, or do you have other hens?? the eggs from the chicks

i have another question when should i start feeding them layers feed?

6. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    They dont get layer feed till they are ready to lay, which is around 22-26 weeks old. and you can definitely eat the eggs.[​IMG]

7. jeremy frenz

Apr 8, 2007
    portland OR
    ok thanks lol

8. millicent

millicent Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Livermore, Maine
    NOT EAT THE EGGS??????????? I think she was pulling one of our family tricks on you..."This cake I made is no good, so I'm gonna run it out to the woods and bury it so none of you dear people need to eat it...in fact, it may be spoiled...Im gonna go with this fork and glass of milk and dispose of it for you"
    Dont eat those eggs...they may be toxic, so you can bring them around here and i will be more than happy to get rid of them for you.........[​IMG]

9. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    If you do have older hens (which it sounds like you don't); you don't want to feed them the medicated feed that the chicks are getting. I don't know why you would, cause you wouldn't mix your chicks with your older hens, anyway. But if the older hens do eat that, then you shouldn't eat the eggs from those hens for about three weeks. Anytime you give your hens medicine, that's generally the rule a lot of people follow.

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    The momma hen of my last batch of babies remained with them up until they switched off of medicated starter, so she was eating that also. When she went back into lay I ate her eggs, mostly because it didn't dawn on me for a couple of weeks that I probably shouldn't. I'm still here and I feel fine.
    Don't trust me that it's OK to do, however. I tend to have a lax view of such things. I was a child in the 70's - I figure if I haven't been radiated and asbestosed and pesticided and immunized and polluted to death by now, I'll probably make it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by