Should I evict?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aim0474, Dec 29, 2016.

1. aim0474

aim0474 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    I had to build a bigger coop when our chicken math doubled my flock. When we pulled the old coop out, we just set it aside as a friend has wanted it but hasnt had a chsnce to come amd get it yet.

My set of 4 littles,as I call them, like to go into the old coop and hang out, especially on chilly days. They dont have access to the eggboxes in there, they simply like to go in out of the wind and chill and pile up to keep warm, which still hanging out the pop door to see what is happening in the world. Atbed time they go and eat and the head into the main coop witn the other hens to sleep.

My question is, is ita problem if I let them hang in the box? Actually, i would have to build them a small box they can get into so I can get rid iof thr original coop.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I don't think it necessarily a problem - they're just loitering around in their old digs. But they'll have to do some fast adjusting when your friend picks up their hang out.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    They are in all likely hood hiding out from their bigger and meaner flock mates.

1 person likes this.
  4. aim0474

aim0474 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    I thought the same thing as well. The big girls did bully them around quite a bit. That is changing though and one of the littles is quickly moving up the pecking order ranks.

I was thinking of recreating a box for them but think instead I make make them some kind of chicken jungle gym. That way they can sit in the sun or get out of the wind if they want to.

Thanks!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Chickens of the same age seem to form their own groups and hang out together so I would consider it normal. As long as you have a couple of feeding stations, so food aggression is reduced, then I'd imagine its fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by