Should I feed my chicks? (Bringing Chicks to a Sale)

cluckcluck42

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Quebec
Okay here is the situation, I have chicks hatching a day early and I was thinking of bringing them to a swap tomorrow but I've never brought young chicks to a sale and I'm not sure what to do.

Specifically I 'm having a hard time deciding if I should feed them or not tonight? The earliest chick that hatched was out Saturday morning sometime between 1am and 6am. Would I be better off not feeding them so they are still absorbing their yolk tomorrow or should I feed them now? My understanding is that the chicks absorb the yolk and can do so for up to three days and that when they eat real food and water they no longer rely on the absorbed yolk for calories and will need food and water available at all times. Is that how it works? If so, I worry that feeding them and then them going without food for 5 hours will hurt them more than if I just left them to absorb off their yolk. Thoughts??

Is there any other things I should be concerned about bringing them to a sale? Any tips or advice? I have small boxes full of shavings to keep em warm and it's supposed to be a nice day out. The sale is only 3 hours long and they'd be in the box for maximum 5-6 hours (including driving time). Bringing food and water for them is an option as well, just interested to know what other people do when bringing chicks to sales!

yes you should provide feed and water, its what I would do, at that age they are really vulnerable and going without food and drink could actually harm them. good luck,

Ema

I would go ahead and offer food and water as well as take it along with you. I would also provide a heat source since they are only day olds and I can't imagine it will be anywhere near 95ish in Quebec!
smile.png

Last edited:
How does shipping chicks work then because last year I got chicks shipped to me from Saskatchewan and they all made it safe and sound? I think I'll just keep them for now, but why would it be bad to bring them to a sale, it's less stressful then shipping? no?
hu.gif

I set my eggs to hatch on Thursday evenings to go to Saturday morning sales. I leave them in the incubator until Sat morning and put them in a regular shipping box to take them to the sale. I give them no food or water or supplemental heat. Not much different than having them shipped from a hatchery. The purchaser is going to give them food and water as soon as they get them home. Works good for me and I get good reports back from the buyers.
db

chicks have a egg sack for three days, in a hatchery they are given electrolyte's in there water. This is most important to be given, The little chicks are usually shipped within twelve hours after they are dry and thriving, depending on breed, Handling is very sensitive because the baby's are usually shipped in large numbers to keep them warm. The shipping is usually expressed on a air plane and as live cargo they are very carefully handled and are flown in the front of the plane, The post office will call as early as 4 am to come pick up the baby bird's and it is advised that they are given warm temp around 90 F. and plenty of chick food and water. It is really rough on the little bird, Usually it has a comforting mommy and a quiet environment. The feed store will keep the baby's on watch before going home with anyone. Keep in mind all of these factors for the health of your new baby's.

Back
Top Bottom