Should I feed/water ducklings before intro to foster hen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherD42, Apr 19, 2016.

1. HeatherD42

HeatherD42 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I posted this in the baby chick section but nobody responded:

I had seven ducklings hatch yesterday (first one at 8am). My plan is to introduce the ducklings to their foster chicken mom tonight.

Once I put them in the temporary brooder, should I give them food and water? I assume that mama hen won't show them the food and water till tomorrow morning, so is it better to not give them anything? If I give them food and water, will it then be harmful to them to go overnight with none? Supposedly they can survive with nothing for 72 hours which would be Thursday morning.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I think you are referring to the fact that they live off the remainder of the egg yolk they have absorbed. I think that is only for the first 48 hours, not 72. You should introduce them to the broody hen as soon as possible and during a time where you can watch her carefully. Be prepared to take them away immediately if she rejects them.

3. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    If I slip them in tonight, will she show them the food and water overnight? Everything I've read says to do it at night so that there's less chance she'll reject them

4. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    Maybe I'll give her two of the younger ones tonight and then give everybody else food and water in the brooder. Then I'll introduce more babies tomorrow if she takes well to them

5. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I think I could have written that a little clearer. By "as soon as possible" I meant don't wait too long. You want them to bond to her too and see her as mom. By "a time when you can watch" I mean make sure you have plenty of time to sit and watch her to make sure she doesn't show any aggression towards them. If this evening is a good time for you and you feel more comfortable then go ahead and do it this evening. In the mean time I would offer the ducklings food and water in their temporary brooder. It will at least give them a chance to eat and drink if they need it.

I think it's probably best to give them all at one time.

6. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    Ok, I gave them food and water I'll put all of them under the hen tonight and stay near by. Thank you!

7. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Good luck. Would love to hear how things go.

8. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    I just put them under mama hen and all seems well so far. No commotion yet after 20 minutes. I'll update in the morning

9. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    Mama has accepted the babies! I saw a couple getting food and water a few minutes ago. Thank you for your help!

10. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    [​IMG]Hooray! So glad it worked out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by