should I force them out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by faykokoWV, Nov 1, 2009.

1. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I just added my 6 week old chicks to the adult flock. They have been in with the older chickens for a week. they refuse to leave the coop and go into the run! Should I force them to go out or should I just wait and let them go on their own?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That's a lot of change for chicks...I'd let them settle in for a few days, since they need to recognize their new home. Then I would start taking them outside, even if they turn around and run back to "safety." Probably after taking them out a few days in a row, they would start to do it on their own...

3. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    They are only 6 weeks old?

I put mine in a nursery coop within my main flock coop until they are about 3 months old. This way they are big enough to get away from the big girls.

Chickens are brutal sometimes so at least when they are a bit bigger they can run faster to get away form dominant chickens.

Your chickies are just staying out of the way of the way of the adults.

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    6 of the 15 came out today on their own, hopefully the others will follow soon. all of them are roosting with the big girls!

5. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hurray for progress! My Australorps stuck real close to "home" until they were all grown up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by