Should I force them to like being held?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chocobo, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    I have two Buff Orpingtons and two Easter Eggers. All are almost three weeks old.
    The Buffs don't care how I hold them at all and are VERY laid back. The Easter Eggers....not so much. [​IMG]
    They don't mind being held as long as they are standing on my hand or arm but if I try to actually pick them up in any way they peep like I'm trying to kill them and try to flap as hard as they can.
    I've gotten pretty good at getting them to just hop up on my hand but as they get bigger isn't the proper way to transport them to hold them by the sides or with a hand underneath and the legs dangling?
    Should I be trying to desensitize them now to being handled that way while they are still young or is this just an indicator of how they will be preferred to be handled all their life regardless of how much I try get them used to being held with their wings pressed to the side and feet dangling?

2. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Yes. Try to handle them ever day now that they are young. My EE started that way too but now they are the first to run over to me.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree just keep handling them and they will get used to it. Treats help. The best way to a chicken's heart is through its stomach. [​IMG]

4. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    I have both and I did notice (even from day one), me Orps were much friendlier. Keep loving them and offering treats they will come around. Orps I think are just much cookier personal birds and love to be held.

5. Chocobo

May 27, 2011
    Quote:Define "Handling".
    I pick them up several times a day and let them hop around on my hands and arms and give them treats. They now equate my hand with food [​IMG] but should I also be holding them and picking them up the "normal" way so they get used to it even though they would prefer to stand on their own?

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd do whatever you'll need to do if she gets a wound and needs assistance. To me, that means forcing them to be picked up and held. I have one EE that screams bloody murder every.single.time. She runs and puts up such a fuss! She likes to be preened, though. So, I go ahead and grab her, put her on my leg, and hold her until she quits complaining. I then preen her and she relaxes and will be a lot more approachable for a few hours afterward. Of course, all is forgotten by the next day and it's back to crazy Gertie. She's fully treat-trained and will run over to take food from me but that hasn't made one iota of difference with her attitude about being picked up.

7. chickenseller94

chickenseller94 New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    Mount Airy, NC
    you should hold them as much as possible and get them used to the human interaction... i have had the same issues before but ther chicks will get used to it over time

8. Chocobo

May 27, 2011
    Quote:Interesting. Obviously I've seen birds preen each other but how exactly does a human "preen" a chicken?

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I pick them up several times a day and let them hop around on my hands and arms and give them treats. They now equate my hand with food [​IMG] but should I also be holding them and picking them up the "normal" way so they get used to it even though they would prefer to stand on their own?

I think you are doing just fine and that they will get used to being picked up and less resistant with time.

(handling them)
    I would hold them for several minutes until they are calm and then for a few more minutes to show them you aren't going to harm them. I have had some that would jump into my lap, my lap chickens. Some will want to be held and others won't. They each have their own personalities. I have had some that love to be picked up and others that don't want to be picked up no matter how much I have handled them. I always support them by putting my hand under them. I think the way they are picked up and held is important too. Just my opinion. [​IMG]

10. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010

Pick them up. Stay calm. Don't put them back down until they are calm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by