Should I free range my chickens when it snows

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bubba56, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Bubba56

Bubba56 New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    I live in southern New Jersey and I'm new to the whole chicken thing. As I'm getting ready for the winter I want to know if its safe for my birds to be out in the snow. I do have a covered run, but I do let my birds out a couple hours a day.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I wouldn't say that it's very safe, I can imagine that your chickens will be very visible for passing predators. My hens mostly stay inside the coop because they hate snow and the coldness of it. I would give them a choice of going out or staying in, if my chickens do go out they spend most of their time taking shelter somewhere in the yard.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Chickens don't tend to like snow more than an inch or so deep, so if it is much more they tend to stay in the coop or covered areas anyhow. If I let mine out they will just stay at the door and complain or just walk around in the bare spots or paths we have made. X 2 If you have predator problems, especially flying ones, the chickens will be more visable.

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

[​IMG]

5. Bubba56

Bubba56 New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Thank for all the help. Ill just let them decide for themselves. I'm sure they will be surprised the first time they see snow.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! The first time we had snow, mine ran a lap of the yard and went straight back to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by