Should I free range my chickens when it snows

Bubba56

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
I live in southern New Jersey and I'm new to the whole chicken thing. As I'm getting ready for the winter I want to know if its safe for my birds to be out in the snow. I do have a covered run, but I do let my birds out a couple hours a day.

welcome-byc.gif
I wouldn't say that it's very safe, I can imagine that your chickens will be very visible for passing predators. My hens mostly stay inside the coop because they hate snow and the coldness of it. I would give them a choice of going out or staying in, if my chickens do go out they spend most of their time taking shelter somewhere in the yard.

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Chickens don't tend to like snow more than an inch or so deep, so if it is much more they tend to stay in the coop or covered areas anyhow. If I let mine out they will just stay at the door and complain or just walk around in the bare spots or paths we have made. X 2 If you have predator problems, especially flying ones, the chickens will be more visable.

Thank for all the help. Ill just let them decide for themselves. I'm sure they will be surprised the first time they see snow.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! The first time we had snow, mine ran a lap of the yard and went straight back to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom