Should I get a few chickens or ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newgirlforsure, Apr 4, 2016.

1. newgirlforsure

newgirlforsure Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    I didn't know where to post this question. I have been doing some research but I want to talk to an experienced person about this. I live in town with a yard that we will be fencing in this summer. I am allowed to have a couple chickens or a couple ducks. I am leaning towards ducks??

I am looking for
    1. a pet that we will be at LEAST semi-friendly.
    2. Will provide eggs.

I don't have anything yet. I have some experience with fast grower chickens. I have helped raise and butcher them which is horrible and I don't ever want to butcher again. I have never had experience with laying hens except for gathering eggs when my friends are out of town. My friend had some little ducklings and they seemed a lot more laid back than little chicks and seemed to enjoy being handled more. Can anyone give me any insight into this? Which is easier to have in the yard chickens or ducks? Are ducks super noisy, as in would my neighbors complain about them? Thanks and sorry for the crazy question.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I suggest a couple of bantams, Friendly and quiet. Ducks do need a small pond/pool to be happy IMO. They will soil the water in a small pool quickly. I'm a city slicker myself and keep only chickens as pets.
    Wishing you best..[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have both ducks and chickens.
    I have chickens because for eating, I don't like the yolk in duck eggs. For baking, not a problem, but I'm not a fan of yolk to begin with, so the larger and stronger yolk of ducks is not to my taste.

IMO
    Chickens are easier and cleaner, but ducks are way more enjoyable for me. I do like having a mixed flock though. I much more enjoy ducklings - I've now raised 2 small batches of chicks and both DH and I think the ducklings are always more interesting.

I had a very friendly runner duck - she died after an injury. She was my lead duck. That left me with a friendly duck and a "I'll eat from your hand, but don't you dare try to pick me up" duck. The leave me alone duck took charge.
    I then added 3 more ducks and those 2 runners are still very skittish. The welsh harlequin raised with them is friendly, but timid.
    Difference... I had a lot of time to spend with batch 1 as I wasn't working at the time. Batch 2 I was working and didn't have all day to hang with the ducklings.

If i have to pick up a bird, my chicken is easy peasy. She may not enjoy it, but she lets you pick her up no problem.
    I can pick up the "leave me alone duck" but have to plan it. I can pick up my WH because she is bigger and slower. I don't try to grab the other 2 runners. One was limping for a couple of days and I finally had to corner her with my DH so we could check her out. Not a fun experience for any of us. And she distrusted me for weeks after.

Everybody follows me when I have food.

Noise - I'd say lately, my chicken is louder, especially in the am. But for the most part, any noise ends quickly. My ducks quieted down after their first summer. But if they have something to say, they let the neighborhood know!

Ducks will be much happier if they have water to play in.

My chicken puts herself to bed every night. The ducks... they mostly do, but that took training (walking them to bed every night and providing peas). Now they stand in front of the back steps and wait at dusk for me to come out with peas. If I'm late, the chicken goes to bed... the ducks hang out a while longer and either hop in the pool or quack until I know they are waiting :lol
    If we aren't home, they do put themselves to bed. It is only when they know we are home that they hang out and wait.

Friendliness will do a lot with how they are raised.
    I had a very friendly runner duck and still have 2 that fit the breed normal "skittish"
    If you can spend a lot of time with them, then you will likely have much friendlier birds.

Noise - will also slightly depend on the duck breed - but will be more the personality of the duck.

I had a mallard - she was nicknamed "loudmouth" all she did was talk! Sweet girl, but loud as all get out and often. She unfortunately wasn't around long enough to see if the noise decreased after that first summer :(

Good luck deciding

1 person likes this.
  4. newgirlforsure

Apr 4, 2016
    This was all helpful. I really fell in love with the ducklings but it sounds like bantams would be easier. If I got ducks I was thinking Welsh Harlequin. Whatever I get will be raised in my basement until big enough to go outside and played with by my children. The only access to water a duck would have is a kiddie pool. I want a max of 3 birds. Decisions are hard yall!! Thank you the info is helpful. I have some thinking and research to do.

5. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    One advantage ducks have over chickens is that the males are quiet so you can breed in areas where roosters are not allowed. They love the weather we have in the Pacific Northwest and tbey clean up the slugs and snails that can destroy vegetation. I wish they could work on my front yard as well as they do on the back yard. Their poop waters into the grass and their bath water is awesome fertilizer.

We love our ducks more than our chickens but we still keep backyard chickens with our ducks. I am more of a dog person too but we still love our cat. Duck eggs are great for baking but they are not as fluffy for omlets so it depends on what eggs you need most. We like hatching eggs more than eating them so we will never give up our ducks but we could end up giving up our chickens if there comes a day when we can no longer keep a rooster with our hens.

1 person likes this.
  6. Finnie

Finnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I can't compare ducks to chickens for you, I only have chickens. But the chickens, even the females, can be pretty loud.

The other day I was out weeding in my front yard. We don't live in a neighborhood, but they built one next to us. Those people all moved in with dogs. Their dogs bark a lot. So I was weeding, and I kept hearing this dog give one little yap constantly, and I thought "Man, those people need to take their dog in the house! Why do they just ignore it barking?" So then when my weed bucket was full and I took it out back to dump in the compost, I realized, it wasn't a dog, it was one of my hens! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    This is where my chickens hatched from.
    [​IMG]
    They cackle only.
    [​IMG]
    I don't believe these scientists. I suspect your chickens came from the above category of non GMO eggs.

[​IMG]If I didn't at least make you chuckle, then I consider the day a total loss.

1 person likes this.
  8. newgirlforsure

Apr 4, 2016
    I think i'm going to get some welsh harlequins y'all. I hope im not making a wrong decision. I really do like ducks over chickens. I'm looking online for a place to order a small amount. I'm not sure if I will get any bantams. I'll try ducks and see how it goes. If it does not work out I have a friend who lives in the country and has a great big pond in her yard and has a place for them to winter. She has ducks and said they will always have a home with her if the neighbors get cranky about my birds. The co-op in town will not do a small order for me so I guess i'll try find a place online that will. People around here do not have that breed of duck for sale.

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Meter farms has wh and will ship as few as 3. Maybe even 2, but I'd suggest at least 3

10. Finnie

Finnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2014
    Indianapolis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by