1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I get a Roo?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by sunnydee, Nov 7, 2008.

1. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I have six chickens who are 21 weeks old. They are all girls. Not laying yet, but expect them any day now. What are your thoughts of adding a rooster? I didnt get one in the begining because I always heard they were mean. But now that I have learned more about our feather friends I am considering a rooster.

Any thoughts?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    You dont need one, but I like having a couple around.

Are you living close to others that it may bother??
    Are you planning to breed/ hatch your own chicks?

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I love roosters. I love their crows, how they look out for their girls, pretty much everything about them. I'd suggest you get one or two, but you don't need to have one. I'd also be careful adding a young roo to your existing gals, as they might beat up on him at first. Maybe put him in a cage in the coop for a few days once he has been quarenteened upon arrival. [​IMG]

4. sunnydee

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    My nearest neighbors are cows and horses, so no problems with the neighbors. I would eventualy like to have my girls have a few chicks of their own.

I let my girls out to free range as much as possible when I am home. I have thoughts that a roo will protect and help the girls around the yard.

And I would love to wake up to a roo bringing the new day in.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get a roo.

We had to get rid of ours because we are in the city and he was NOISY!

6. sunnydee

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Should I get a roo who is the same age? Does the kind of breed matter? Should I try to get one of the same breed of girls?

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I like having a rooster with my hens for many reasons. I think it makes for a more balanced chicken society, plus the roos are good providers & protecters. And they are handsome birds to ornament your yard. Of course you do need to consider the impact of their crowing on your family & your neighbors. Personally, I like hearing the roosters crow, there are many worse things you could have to hear. The sound doesn't wake me up either. However, other folks are more easily disturbed by a rooster's crow.

It's true that some roosters are aggressive, and can make your every foray into the yard a potentially dangerous trip. But there are many many other roosters who are perfect gentlemen. So many, in fact, that I refuse to put up with any more roosters who misbehave. If you do choose a roo, have a Plan B prepared for him in case he becomes aggressive (soup is my preference) and select another one to replace him.

One roo added to 21 hens shouldn't be a problem for them, they may even keep him a bit henpecked. But he'll be a very happy camper with all those ladies to choose from, and won't wear any of them out with his attentions.

Let us know what you decide!

8. sunnydee

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I have 6 hens who are 21 weeks old. lol I wish I had the room for 21 hens!

Thanks for the advise....keep it coming...you are all talking me into getting one! HA!

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'm like Sara...I enjoy hearing them crow...can't say the same for my hubby tho. [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd get a roo that's at least 4 months old. They grow into being real roos quickly.

You shouldn't have trouble finding a roo... they are everywhere... check out Craig's list.

And if you want good looking chicks, get one of the same breed as the hens.... unless you like garden varieties!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by