Should I get a roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ALRwild, Aug 16, 2011.

1. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    I was wondering if it would be okay to introduce a full grown rooster into my flock once my pullets begin to lay. I am not sure if they wouldn't accept the rooster or pretend like he was there all along. Have you ever tried this before? If you have, then please let me know if you believe it would be a good idea. Thanks![​IMG]

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

They might fight a little at first but that is normal because they are establishing the pecking order, so go get one!

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I lost my best roo to the heat a few wks ago. I put a flock of 13 hens and one 17 wk old roo in with 9 hens and there was not a problem. Of course the hens had to work things out, but all is well after a couple of days.

4. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    I put a 6 month old rooster in with alot of hens of different ages and he figured hey theres 1 of my and about 15 of them maybe i should just go along with them. now they all follow him as if he was the chicken missiah

5. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    Thanks for the help! I'll be looking at getting one this next spring!

6. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Why wait....

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I agree...why wait, there are a lot of people needing to re-home their roos....I bet you could find a great one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by