Should I get a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rossi, May 3, 2008.

1. Rossi

Rossi New Egg

May 3, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My husband and I are getting 6-8 chicks on June 3rd from our local farm supply store and have some questions about whether or not to get a rooster? Some local people I have spoken to have said yes, others say absolutely not. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, if you want fertile eggs for hatching, then yes.

If you are free-ranging, I have seen on here that many people like having a roo to help keep an eye out for predators etc. Allthough, some have also posted that their roos bowl their girls over seeking a safe place and leave them to fend for themselves [​IMG] LOL So... who knows [​IMG]

Can you have a rooster where you live? They will crow. Often. Are your neighbors going to give you guff? If it is legal to have roos and your neighbors give you guff.. do you care? LOL [​IMG]

3. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    You only need a rooster if you are planning to breed.

Rooster pros:

1) they crow
    2) they watch out for and protect the flock
    3) fertile eggs
    4) they're often handsome birds

Rooster cons:

1) they crow
    2) they may over-mate the hens (especially if you only have a small flock) causing the hens' backs to become bare
    3) they may become aggressive toward humans, especially children

4. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    I ended up with two roosters, inadvertently, and love them to death! I ordered all females, since I live in town and didn't want to upset the neighbors, even though I could legally have them. I didn't need fertile eggs, so had no need for a rooster. But I ended up with 3. One had to go because he was horrible to the hens, but the other two get along great and are wonderful. I do keep them cooped a bit later on the weekends so the one neighbor isn't woken up before 8 a.m., but the other neighbors don't mind them, and some actually enjoy them. The only problem I have is that 4 of my larger hens have bare spots from all the "lovin" the bantam roosters give them. If you can legally have roosters, I'd consider it. Mine don't provide any real benefit except making me smile!

5. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    It depends on your purpose......We had two Roos one nice, calm and moderate on the crowing, but very skitzy....worse than my leghorns. We got him as we would like to hatch our own. Got another Roo for the second batch of girls (they "claim" a flock for their own).....Initially he was very nice and clam But extrememly LOUD!!! All day long he was crowing........started to sound horse after awhile [​IMG] so that is something you need to prepare for.. [​IMG]
    Then all of a sudden......he turned aggresive [​IMG] and went for the jugular of my 8 year old son for no reason dodged at him out of the blue!!!! So the roo made it to the stew pot. ......so something else you need to prepare for.
    There are threads on here on how to tame an aunry roo, but my kids are all to small to defend themselves so an angry roo becomes stew :mad:

6. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I wouldn't be without a Rooster. Some people like fertile eggs better then non fertile. I don't think there is a difference. You can also let a hen go broody and raise replacement egg layers.

7. Rossi

Rossi New Egg

May 3, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:When a hen goes broody does she essentially act like a rooster? Does she stop laying eggs and take over as the leader?

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When a hen goes broody she wants to hatch eggs. She sits and growls and will reluctantly let you take her eggs. She might even bite you. Ever hear the saying "mad as a wet settin' hen"? LOL

Broody hens do not act like roosters. They act like women padding the nest just before the baby comes.

If you leave any eggs for her to sit on she will quit laying and won't resume for a good while.

She will not be acting like a rooster or trying to lead the flock.

The flock has a pecking order estabished and going broody doesn't change that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by