Should I get an Australorp or Jersey Giant?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Lisser, Aug 2, 2010.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

A friend has a Black Australorp hen that has the beautiful greenish sheen to her feathers - I think she's [​IMG] beautiful! I am planning to purchase some chicks through MPC, and I want a black chicken with the pretty sheen. I've tried looking through the Jersey Giant thread but couldn't really tell - do black Jersey Giants have a greenish sheen too?

The reason I'm thinking about NOT getting an Australorp is that I've heard that the heavier layers are more likely to develop internal laying. I get very attached to my animals and if they are sick it stresses me out big time, so I'd rather avoid that. I have heard of RIR's and BR's getting internal laying, but not heard of any Australorps getting it - however they are very heavy layers.

So, have any of you had an Australorp with internal laying? Are black Jersey Giants just as pretty as Australorps?

Thanks!!
    Melissa

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Get black giants! But then again I raise giants & just love them - size, color & personality so that's just my opinion. They both have a beautiful sheen.

Any hen could become an internal layer I guess, but I've never had it happen myself, so I don't think it's very common. (Or maybe I've just been lucky). If I started thinking about all the things that could go wrong with the flocks like laying problems, parasites, genetic defects, etc. that I hear other people run into I'd be too scared to have any chickens at all, but they are really pretty hardy. We've never had any trouble with anything except trying not to buy a bunch of every new breed I see. Thank goodness for chicken math or I'd think I was in trouble.

Good luck,
    Terry

3. amyrains

amyrains Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    camden
    we love our jgs we have 28 of them and no probs yet seems to me a hardy breed [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  4. gaduke

gaduke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    S.W. Kentucky
    I have an Australorp, she's pretty awsome! [​IMG]

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    i am going to say go with the black Australorp, but up to you both are good layers

6. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    How about one of each??? [​IMG]

7. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I raise both breeds and have never had this problem; only with a few of my banty hens.Both have great personalities too. My BG roo Slade we just walk up to him and pick him up, and he will crow![​IMG][​IMG] Gentle giants they are, both are good egg layers too even in winter time here.

Slade my BG roo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    "Should I get an Australorp or Jersey Giant?"

Well....Duh......Get both and cross breed them and select the ones with the traits of both that you like.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, get one, or two, or three of each!

I love my BA, Matilda.
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

I also have a little bantam Jersey Giant (which makes NO sense to me whatsoever) but it's only 6 weeks old. No beetle-green feathering yet.

10. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Just to throw in another thought- my Black Orpingtons have the most beautiful green sheen. . . . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by