Should I get another Roo?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FairWillow28, Mar 9, 2014.

1. FairWillow28

FairWillow28 New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    Tennessee
    Hi there. I have a total of 9 hens: 2 red sex links, 4 barred rocks, one partridge cochin, one blue cochin, and one little buff silkie. I also have one roo Napoleon who is also a buff silkie. He is about 7 months. I have 2 small coops and we are planning to get a couple more hens. I have been thinking about maybe another roo too. Napoleon thinks he is big now and tries to mate with all the girls but since he is smaller than they are he is not very successful with the exception of his girlfriend Dandy the other silkie. If I get another larger breed roo will that one pick on him? They would have separate coops and 5 or 6 girls a piece [​IMG]THanks for any advice

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    Introducing a new rooster into an established flock will result in fighting. Raising a cockerel (broody hen) in the flock might provide a smoother transition to a multi rooster flock.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

X2

Roos are trouble. So unless you don't have to have another, I would avoid it.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Well you said they would have separate coops but would they will have access to each other during the day? You'd probably need to have separate runs for them. What I've read says 10ish hens per rooster. What are your reasons for wanting roosters?

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    WHY? Give the silky more time to mature, it's not impossible for the little guys to please the ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by