Should i get asils, madagascar games, shamos, or maylays?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ninjascrub69, Sep 24, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I accidentally posted this in the wrong section earlier so if you come acrost it twice im sorry.
    Anyway,I want to get one of them for a breeding project im working on (I'm going to cross a brahma with a phoenix and then cross the resulting birds to the breed you guys decide on)
    The goal is to get a bird that is much larger than the phoenix (but still has the beautiful feathers of a phoenix) and is slightly more hardy than a phoenix.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, crossing a Brahma and an Oriental Gamefowl won't solve your problem. [​IMG] It will make a mutt, really. . . big bird x skinny tall bird x skinny bird wit long tail = average mutt. [​IMG]

If you want a hardier, bigger Phoenix and keep the tail feathers, try going for something like a Cubalaya?

3. ninjascrub69

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:My cousin already crossed one of his phoenix roos with his brahma hen and it had the feathers of a phoenix but had a higher percentage of fluff, kind of like a brahma but with way longer feathers and the outer feathers were hard like a phoenix. So if i crossed something like that (hoping i get it from MY cross) with an oriental gamefowl would it still be skinny with a long tail? (i only wanted to breed the gamefowl in to get some weight and a lil bit longer legs)

4. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I think Ga Nois have the longest tails of the oriental types that you are looking for. This cock is either a Thai, Ga Noi or a Hmong Qiab.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  5. ninjascrub69

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Ok, I did a little bit more research on them and I decided to get either a thai gamefowl, shamo, or a madagascar game. These are not my pics they belong to feathersite.com and gamefowl.co.uk

Thai rooster

[​IMG]

Madagascar game cockrel
    [​IMG]

shamo cockrel
    [​IMG]

They all seem to have relativly long tails, so out of these two which one should i get?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  6. TomNY

TomNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Unless you are in love with the Oriental station I would suggest Phoenix/ Minorca. Minorcas already have size, tail, good feather, and white skin and white earlobes. Also the Minorcas will not be as slow maturing as any of the Orientals you've mentioned. Tom

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I will let you know that I don't think that you will find Thai in the U.S. very cheap if you find them at all.

Chris

8. ninjascrub69

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:I've seen hatching eggs on ebay b4. And tomNY Thats a good idea too, i might use a minorca instead of an asian gamefowl, or i might use both in different breeding pens to see which one gets the best results... thank you for the idea [​IMG] .

9. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    Quote:what they said^

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Malay has made great crosses with yokohama. I imagine they'd be great with phoenix too. Be sure to use a female oriental with your cross, the males are large and heavy and could potentially hurt any females from your brahma phoenix cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by