Should I get chickens or doves?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by otulissa, Apr 25, 2017.

1. otulissa

otulissa New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    Florida
    I started out really wanting chickens but then thought about doves. With the chickens I'd have the eggs but I'm limited to only four hens at a time and have to have a permit but its not really expensive. Both seem to take to people really well but I like that I can carry my doves on my shoulders and they can be indoors or out doors. I'm not allowed to breed the chickens at all. I don't think there is anything like these limits for doves. Several neighbors have chickens so I'm not worried about noise. We have the yard for them as well. Finding chicks has also proved easier than finding doves where I live but I'm wondering if doves will still be the better choice. The animals will be pets as I cant have an animal that requires high activity (a dog, Horse etc.) because of health issues. I live in north Florida if that makes a differences. What would you suggest, a chicken( looks li!me I'll get them as chicks) or a dove?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I suggest you get both, try them out see what you like.

3. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    CHICKENS!:cd

4. otulissa

otulissa New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    Florida
    Haha. I'm leaning that way.

5. LLranch

LLranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2017
    Have you considered coturnix quail they are fairly quiet easy to care for and produce lots of small eggs

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by