Should I get Chihuahuas? YES *Update - New Pics!!!*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TXmom, Apr 2, 2009.

1. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

My mom was shopping yesterday and buying stuff for her 2 adorable chihuahuas. Being the very friendly social person she is, she got into a conversation with a lady about her dogs, and the lady offered her her 2 chihuahua's for F-R-E-E! My mom said she didn't need more dogs, but she knew who would want them...ME. So she got her phone number and I talked to her last night.

They are 2 little sisters, 4 years old, short haired, fawn color, about 5-6 pounds. She sounds like a nice lady, but not really a dog person. She said she never wanted them....they belong to her son, but he's 16 and just not taking care of them the way he should. She doesn't want to continue taking care of them for him, so she's giving them away. Wow, I'm just kinda speechless...I've never had such tiny dogs myself (I've had bigger...40-50 pounds), but we all love my mom's. Part of me wants to jump on this - OF COURSE I WANT THEM!!!! But then part of me...well I'm not sure...I don't know why I'm hesitant...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Run, just as fast as you can to get them. I have 3 and wouldn't take a million dollars for them! Micah

3. TXmom

Hehehe...that's good to hear! Chihuahua's can have a bad reputation sometimes...being yappy or aggressive...buy my mom's dogs are really nice. I'm her dog-sitter, so at least 2-3 times a year they stay at my house for at least a week. They get along great with my kids, and they stay away from my cat and chickens. Don't worry, my cat is extremely laid back and barely even notices they're here...LOL.

How hard would it be to break any bad habits they might have...since they're 4 years old? She said they've been around her cat and 4 year old grandson without any problems, so that's a plus....

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    They are very smart. mine are not yappy(I don't know where people get that) I've been around them all my life. They do tend to be frightened of thunderstorms, are some what picky eaters. If that is the worst thing about them, I'm happy! They are great watch dogs. Micah

5. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Go get them!! I have a Chihuahua and L-O-V-E her with all my heart.
    A few suggestions:
    Get them each their own crate. They love to go hide when things get crazy and that is a better place than under the bed. They are also probably not potty trained and this will help. Separate crates work a whole lot better than two in one.
    Also and most important....treat them like big dogs. They are in heart and when they are carried around all the time it makes them insecure.

Mini our 4 lb bundle of love, under the covers in our bed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I hated, loathed and despised the nasty little things.......UNTIL.....I moved into my house I have now. My neighbors have one named Julio. About the size of my pinky finger. OMG they are awesome little dogs!!! So cute and so smart, and so HUGE inside!!! I now have a little mutt who is part chihuahua and wouldn't trade her for the world. [​IMG]

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Quote:I dogsit for a few of them... every single one is yappy. in my opinion. Cute, friendly, happy and YAPPY. Most of that is just what you said " they are great watch dogs" and their defense is barking at strangers, noises, etc... that's where it comes from. I think it's more of a terminology thing... you say great watch dogs, others say a dog is yappy.

To original poster, if you have the time and energy, at least getting two dogs it will be an easier transition for them. Good luck!

nancy

8. TXmom

Oh My Goodness.....she's soooooo cute! Here's a pic of my mom's, Xavier and Joy at Christmas:

[​IMG]

9. blueberrylu

blueberrylu Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG---that picture is so, so cute!!! It made my kids all smile.

10. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    its all about how they are raised good thing is you dont have to worry about jumping on the couch being a bad habit like you would if you were looking at a large dog i mean what else are lap dogs for [​IMG] i would go for it if you can give them a home and the love they need they will change your mind about little dogs they have big hearts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by