Should I get Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BellaTweety, May 6, 2016.

1. BellaTweety

BellaTweety Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    I am considering getting some ducklings and raising them but I am not always home and I do not have a pond and I have dogs. I have never raised ducks before, but the upcoming summer will make it easier since I will be home more often. Do they need a water source as adults? I have a small kiddie pool, but no pond. It would really be helpful if those out there who have gone through similar problems or have raised ducks gave me some solid advice.

-Species- Ancona- Duck

Thanks,
    Bella

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    a pond is very easy to make even if you just buy the small insert type things they sell at places like menards for little ponds, they always need a constant source of water, and if you raise them as chicks whatever bedding you use must be changed daily because they will get it soaking wet, but they are enjoyable, and even flighty when small they will eventually come around, there are certain things to remember, like they have to be able to dip their whole beak and head into the water to keep their head stuff(eyes sinuses etc.) healthy, and they need extra niacin, and medicated chick starter cannot be used because the amprolium in the feed is toxic to ducks and it is a thiamin blocker.

3. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    oh I left out the kiddie pool, while it is a good idea it will not be big enough for them when they are adults, but will be sufficient until they are bigger and need the pond, it doesn't have to be big, but they need enough room to swim comfortable.

4. BellaTweety

May 5, 2016
    Thanks! Do you know if they will be alright while I'm not home? And what feed should I give them, I have chick starter feed at home NON-MEDICATED. Do you know where I might find Niacin? Once they grow I don't know if I will be able to support them with a pond, but can I possibly make an artificial DIY one?
    Thanks again

5. BellaTweety

May 5, 2016
    Also do you know if they will be okay with the dogs? They are cattle dogs, should I keep them separated?

6. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Sorry I haven't been on for a few days, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/492269/giving-ducklings-niacin-supplements if you go to this thread and go to post 9 she gives you some more options, I know brewers yeast is a great option. As for the DIY you can do one, they are relatively easy to make http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/garden-and-yard/backyard-pond-zm0z15onzmar.aspx?PageId=1 and this site gives some pretty good tips and tricks when doing the pond.

7. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    if your dogs are fine with them the ducks should be fine with the dogs.

8. BellaTweety

May 5, 2016
    Thanks Chicklover,
    will definitely check out those links :)

9. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I have three ducks and they do just fine with their 200 gallon kiddie pool. They also have a 50 gal stock tank in their run that fits all of them. You don't need to build a pond to keep ducks.

I work full time so I am not home all the time either. When I'm not home my ducks are in their fully enclosed run to keep them safe from predators. The biggest worry in my area is stray dogs.

The ducks should be fine with the dogs but you'll need to make sure the dogs are fine with the ducks. Don't leave them unsupervised until you are 100% sure they won't attack the ducks.

10. BellaTweety

May 5, 2016
    Thank you so much, that was super helpful! I was really concerned about leaving them during the day and with the dogs. Luckily the dogs are inside when I'm not home so I don't think it should be a problem. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by