should I get ducks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by blanca, Jul 31, 2014.

1. blanca

blanca Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2014
    I currently have 7 chickens and have recently been considering getting ducks. Q1 r they loud? Q2 good breeds? Q3 male or female? (has to be one or the other couldn't cope with ducklings) Q4 do they get along with chickens? Q5 what would I need if I was going to get ducks? Q6 should I get ducks? Thanks

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I really could not tell ya but here they do have to just to eat ......

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I don't know a whole lot about ducks, but I can tell you they are messy! They require a lot of water, so you will need to keep them in separate quarters from your chickens. Stop by our Ducks section for more input from Duck keepers....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Enjoy all your adventures and welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had a few ducks and ducklings are the ultimate in cute, but ducks eat a lot more than chickens and they are incredibly messy. It's impossible to keep them from getting their water into their feed and vise versa, requiring major cleanup work and time, not to mention all the feed that's wasted that way. As far as breeds, If you decide to get ducks, I would suggest Khaki Campbells as they eat less than the heavier breeds and lay considerably more eggs. TwoCrows' suggestion that you contact the duck section is a good one. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you want ducks, I would advise keeping them separate because they do love to mess around in water, and chickens do not. Plus wet feed will get moldy and could kill birds if they eat it.

You could give ducks a raised waterer, that way some of the litter and poo won't get kicked into it. They can be happy enough with a kid's pool filled with water - so you wouldn't need a pond.

After you talk to the duck people on their thread, it should be easier to make up your mind.

If you want them for meat, I guess either sex would do but, has to be girls if you want eggs.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Ducks are messy which can annoy chickens as they hate water so there they won't get along. You also need to provide a sheltered area for the ducks so they don't get pooped on by the chickens as ducks don't roost.

1 person likes this.
  8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! X2 on the Ducks section. I can't tell you much about ducks, except that you will love them. They are most adorable goofballs. Enjoy!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by