1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

should i get eggs from...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mahen8622, Jan 26, 2009.

1. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    just wondering is EBAY really that great of a place to buy your hatching eggs???

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    don't know for i have never bought any on e-bay, but i can't see why it would not be, chicken poeple are the same where ever they sell there eggs, i think so

3. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    just wasnt sure how honset everyone was on there

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    just get eggs from people here. unless you can get a real good deal off e-bay.

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I think you probably get a mix of people selling eggs on Ebay just like anything else you take a chance when yo are buying from strangers.

6. chickenlover456

chickenlover456 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    I just bought 4 Rhode Island Red eggs on Ebay. THey were shipped in perfect condition, no cracks. As long as the person has at least 98% good feedback, you should be fine. It's also good if the person is selling other items that are related to chickens, so you can tell the person specializes in it.
    Good luck!

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I have gotten some from there...not bad but look at everyone's feedback and always remember Buyer Beware. Lots of folks looking to make a buck and not real honest...probably best to look around here first. I am getting some eggs from some real nice folks (sending the eggs before I send them payment...now that is trusting and good people!)

8. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    well htey are blue silkie eggs (supposedly lol) and i have been begging for silkie eggs on here for a week and no one can help me find any or have any those blue ones are only 7 eggs for 20.50 is htat a good deal it includes shipping???

9. chickenlover456

chickenlover456 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Mahen8622 wrote:

well htey are blue silkie eggs (supposedly lol) and i have been begging for silkie eggs on here for a week and no one can help me find any or have any those blue ones are only 7 eggs for 20.50 is htat a good deal it includes shipping???

Shipping Priority mail is 12.00 flat rate. If it is Priority shipping, the price would be 8.50 for the 7 eggs. A bit pricey, but you won't find a much better deal on ebay.​

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

It depends on what you're looking to buy. Like everything else, you need to keep in mind "Caveat Emptor!"

If you just want some eggs to hatch and the price is right, I say roll the dice and go for it. If, on the other hand, you want a specific breed and you're looking for a good representative of the breed and variety, I would strongly suggest that you do some homework first.

For example, I breed Ameraucanas and I can tell you that there are a whole lot of people who advertise that they are selling Ameraucanas when in fact they are selling Easter Eggers.

I'm listed on the Breeder's List at www.ameraucana.org and I would suggest you look at the applicable Breeders Club website's to see if they have something similar. If you want Ameraucanas, my advice is to stick with those listed on the Breeder's List.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by