should i get ganders hens or straight run?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Flock Runner, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i'm getting two gees from a hatchery. they are going to be "white chinese" but i'm not sure if i should order just hens, just ganders, or straight run. i'm fine with it either way but i want the biggest birds posible but no fighting. i don't miind a couple of chicks either. i herd that ganders can form nice relationships with each other with no hens around. are hens ok with no ganders? also is one gander and one hen a good male to female ratio? i just want happy birds. i'd like to hear your suggestions.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    As long as you have two it will be fine. M+M, M+F,or F+F, will be find. Just be aware if you have a pair they are more likely to get aggressive once breeding season comes around.

3. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Most geese will pair up but if you have two females and one gander he will service both geese. Straight run is suppose to be 50% but if they don't sex them you might end up with tow of one sex with straight run. I would just order one goose and one gander if I was doing it.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You mean a goose? Not a chicken?

If they sell sexed birds, I suggest that you buy a pair. Or else a trio (1 gander, 2 geese)

5. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    does that mean i should get 2 geese, 2 ganders, or a goose and a gander? i just want to know which pair would make better pets.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Geese in General make great pets but during spring Ganders can sometimes be a little testy from all of their testosterone

7. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I have a pair of white Chinese and neither is aggressive to me. My goose always bows down to me while the gander just watches.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    A "pair" is a goose and a gander. A "trio" is one gander and 2 geese.

9. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    so, in the spring if i have 2 males will they be mean to one another? also, are geese broody enouhg to sit on eggs that aren't theirs? like if they are hatching a couple of eggs would i be able to slide a couple of different eggs with them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by