Should I get Grow Gel Plus & Quik Chik? Chick Grit? What do you use?

mattmatts-momma

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Hi,

My chics should be here in the next 2 weeks and I am trying to get everything ready. I have some questions:

1. Should I buy the Grow Gel Plus & Quik Chik?

2. I already have some Chic Starter Feed from Tractor Supply. Do I also need the Chick Grit? I thought I read somewhere that if I use commercial chick starter feed, I don't need the grit.

Please share with me what you do with your baby chicks when they arrive.

The quick chick is good. It sort of looks like gatoraid when you mix it in their water. LOL

The grow gel is a waste of your money which would be better used to buy a ffew more chicks.
wink.png

If you are feeding commercial feed you do not need supplemental grit.

What breeds are you getting? Tell us!

It wouldn't hurt to have the grow gel plus and quick chick on hand...shipped day olds are stressed by the time they get there and adding some to their waterers the first day to two or whatever the package tells you will help them with energy...

The grit wouldn't be needed if they are on a commerical chick starter/grower....

my opinions....

I am getting:

2 Golden Laced Wyandottes
2 Dominiques
2 Rhode Island Reds
2 Ameraucanas
2 Delawares

All Pullets (hopefully).

So I can start the chicks with the Chick Starter then and they should be fine.

Could I use something something like Pedialyte in their water. Would that work?

Hey, TOH, do you know something about the grow gel that I don't?

All I have ever experienced is the grow gel is basically just green dye you mix in their food to help them find the chick starter. They learn water and food quick. I have never seen the green stuff help in 'locating' the food.

I have used it once a very long time ago and found it wasn't a need to have it was just a way to get you to spend more money.

I wouldn't put the pedialyte in their water.

1. - it is too expensive to give to chickens

2. the electrolyte balance is for a little kid not for chickens

3. The quick chick or avia charge is perfect for their little bodies.

Prissy...I have used the grow gel once or twice long ago... I really didn't see the need either but it doesn't hurt anything but the pocketbook...

I would not do the pedialyte either when they get there and it would have to be unflavored...its more for sick chicks or chickens...

You can just use plain old sugar water for a day or so to give them some energy....but not for a prolonged time you will have having runny poos ...

So basically, both of these items are not really needed, but good to have on hand in case you need them.

Don't buy the grow gel.

The quick chick I do buy because if it takes the PO more than a day to get your chicks to you they will need a little vitamin boost.

Back
Top Bottom