Should I get mallards? I would love your input.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ThebigE, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ThebigE

ThebigE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    I have muscovy ducks and I love the colors of mallards and how fast they can fly, and especially their colors and how they raise there own INPUT PLEASE!

2. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Mallards are one of my favorite ducks. I've had a few and plan to get more at some point. Mine were always sweet and friendly. They were the smartest of the bunch too. They were also more daring and adventurous then the others.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If I had sufficient land... and a pond, I would have mallards.

4. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    Quote:i agree with the smartness factor and the daring too. mine were also very agressive, but in a good way, he didnt like to see othe ducks mating, he would jump up and land on top of the male and peck his head until he got off. it was more amusing me than worrying he was gonna hurt my muscovy who was 5 times the size of him. Mine just had an additude. His two best friend were two pekins. Two weeks ago he got killed by a dog but i am defintely getting more at TSC this spring

5. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    Quote:i dont have a pond, i just gave mine a 3 galoon rubber bowl to swim in, im getting a 55 gallon tu though cause i have a goose now

6. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Mallards. Can't beat them. They are the most interesting ducks I have come across.

7. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    We had three - our first ducks. Big mistake. They flew away. Maybe if we'd gotten them as ducklings and raised them, they'd have stuck around...

8. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Domestic I assume? I rescued 3 wild mallard babies last summer and even though we were quite bonded, but in Oct. they flew the coop:( I do feel good that I didn't make them pets and that they were able to fly back to the rest of the ducks, but was pretty sad when they left.

9. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Mallards can fly. If they are treated well and fed well, they will remain. However, I would make sure they do not get to go out without a pen to fee range.

If "anything" frightens them, they will fly. Please read my website blog.

10. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    I think what helped keep mine from straying too far was the fact that they were raised from day-old with 4 other non-flying breeds. A couple times they did get spooked and took off but they landed a cuple blocks away and quacked until we came and found them.

We didn't have a pond. Our troop was happy with a big kiddie pool.

If you have ample land and pond area then you should be fine but if you're in a more populated suburban area then I would suggest clipping the wings - for the ducks safety. Each duck I've lost has been a flyer and the reason I lost them was because they flew off and got into trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by