Should I get more layers over the winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksgalore, Oct 30, 2008.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I sell my eggs and currently cannot keep up with the demand. I have 19 mature hens and for two days in a row have only gotten 6 eggs; a good day is 10. I have 11 more ready to lay around the end of November and a handful starting a month or two after that. My question is, with winter circumstances affecting their laying and we can't put a light where they are right now-- they're too far from the house, would it be a worthwhile investment to add more ready-to-lay pullets right now (yes, I am actually making out in selling my eggs--as in a little profit) or should I just turn away most of my customers and tell them to come back in the spring (which I really don't want to do!). I would like to be getting at least 2 dozen a day.

What to do?

2. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Your chickens will stop laying without lights. More birds probably won't help.

Worth trying: years ago I bought Cod Liver oil (and later halibut liver oil) and mixed it in small amounts to my chicken feed.

the eggs started flying. Had a ringneck pheasant laying in February instead of April.

the daylight is about vitamin D, and the oils are another source of it.

I'd start with one half cup in a 100lbs, mix it well, and experiment beyond that (assuming you can find these oils).

Warning: halibut oil is 4 times as potent as cod oil

Do some research and good luck.

3. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I will look into this--thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by