Should i get my dog castrated because its aggressive towards other

Training is the answer - not surgery. When you say "animals" I assume you mean other than just other male dogs(?) Castration can only mildly affect aggression towards other males and won't affect aggression towards other species AT ALL.

He is aggressive towards other male dogs, esspecially when he is around a male dog and a female dog, he is also very protective of a female dog, even if you just pass a female dog on a walk

Oh heavens!
big_smile.png

I thought you were talking about a real dog!
lol.png
(Just kidding. I raise and train German Shepherds, so that's the mental picture I get when dealing with dog problems!)

I would get this little man on a leash and start teaching him some manners. Some little dogs have very sensitive throats, so you might have to go with a halti or other head-harness rather than a collar. Google the NILIF program - sounds like this guy could use it to make him aware that he's not King of the Universe!
wink.png

you should get the dog neutered because it will eliminate the risk of testicular cancer
you should get the dog neutered because unless its a show/working dog with health testing (cerf, ofa...ect) it shouldnt be bred and dogs that shouldnt be bred should be neutered
you should get your dog neutered because it will reduce the risk of prostate and other nasty reproductive cancers (that often go undtected untill its too late)
you should get the dog neutered so that the the high tesosterone currently being produced can reduce and the dog wont be running on sexual drive instinct.

neutering will NOT "cure" a dog agressive or same sex agressive dog in most cases...
some breeds are more prone to dog agression, many dogs are prone to same sex agression..these can be reducsed in some dogs after a neuter (as the homrones die down), however that only works if they are hormone nduced behaviours...and even then it can take months after a neuter before those hormones are reduced...
however if your dog is same sex or dog agressive due to breed/genetics or habit, those need to be controled via training.

personally i belive any dog that is not part of a responsible breeding program should be neutered when physically and mentally mature...
and unless your showing, or otherwise "proving" (ie the dog is a activly working dog) and (or at the minimum) health tested a dog doesnt need to be intact.
and at 2 years old, he is both physically and mentally mature and the perfect age to be safely neutered!

Last edited:
I think that castration can help an aggression problem.. taking testosterone out of the body help a lot of problems. but there is another reason I am pro-castration and that is Cancer.. I lost a loving Grt Dane to prostate cancer had he been "fixed" as a pup or young dog chances are he wouldn't have gotten it..
hit.gif
but i got him as an older adult rescue dog. If your not breeding him, then it is healthier to have him altered, and then you have one less thing to worry about. and please really think about breeding.. dont be one of those people who says "Oh I just want him to have had it before I fix him.". there are thousands of puppies in shelters just so the boy dog can do his thing or.. We got this one alot too.." I wanted my children to witness birth.".. well turn on the animal planet or discovery some kind of animal is giving birth every day and it wont add to the over population of stray mixed dogs.

After neutering him I highly recommend go to obedience classes.. find a good trainer in your area and go .. it helps with not only the dogs personality and aggression levels but helps you bond even more and hey you might just have fun and meet some new friends..
ya.gif
woot.gif

win win situation..

)O(
Pink

Quote:
Actually, neutering slightly INcreases the risk of prostate cancer. However, not significantly and it's not a common cancer to begin with. So sorry about your dane, those guys are just so prone to all kinds of cancers.

In the OP's case, I would def suggest castrating AND training, as all of you have. The castrating will take the edge off and allow him to learn more once he is less distracted, but he will have to learn alternate behaviors as well. Don't just train his to NOT act this way, train him how you DO want him to act!

Quote:
Personally if he is that worked up around girls, then I dont think ti will do much to settle him down.
It can never hurt, and it can help prevent any unwanted litters or accidents, but I would be consulting a trainer as well.

Back
Top Bottom