Should I get rid of boxwood (toxic) bushes?

Sheri460

Chirping
Mar 11, 2021
I have 3 very large american boxwood bushes in my backyard where my 5 chickens free range most of the day. Whenever I see them go over by the bush I try to herd them elsewhere. But I've read that the leaves can be very toxic to them. Should I dig up these huge bushes? Or will the chickens naturally not eat too much of this bush?

We have had a long boxwood hedge all the time we've had chickens (and guineas before,) and they all have LOVED to hang out under it. There have never been any issues. See pics, is this the same plant? If you trim it with bare arms, you get a rash. But it hasn't bothered the chickens.
This winter, it got down to -21 and most of the hedge actually died! The chickens will miss it.
in front of hedge.jpg
in front of hedge 2.jpg

So good to know!! Thank you for sharing this. Yes, mine is similar, I think the leaves are a bit thicker, but I'm sure that's it. Glad to hear there's no issue. Mine like to get underneath it ours too. Those are awesome looking chickens! What breed are they?

So good to know!! Thank you for sharing this. Yes, mine is similar, I think the leaves are a bit thicker, but I'm sure that's it. Glad to hear there's no issue. Mine like to get underneath it ours too. Those are awesome looking chickens! What breed are they?
They are Appenzeller Spitzhaubens.
I’m glad it’s the same hedge. A hedge also provides cover for protection from hawks. So best to let them remain!

Back
Top Bottom