Should I get rid of my chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Americano Blue, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    I have 7 hens we adopted from a friend but honestly, I don't like them and they don't like me. They aren't very social and tend to be moody. Should I get rid of them and try again or just try to tame them again. Right now they aren't laying and they are 2-3 years old.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    If there's another breed you're looking into there's no harm in getting new birds. A lot of the strains of chickens we see now only have a laying span of 2-4 years (which is bad)

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you don't like them, why would you keep them? In my opinion, that's just a waste of your time and money that could be better spent on something you enjoy.

4. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I agree if you don't like the particular birds you have, it's just fine to get new ones. 2-3 years is getting up there as far as egg production goes so productivity will be going down. Keep in mind however, the more time you spend with the birds, the tamer and more used to you they will become. So, if the only reason you're getting rid of them is because they're not tame, I say give it time. Chickens can easily live 6+ years in ideal conditions. However if you're wanting eggs, replace the older birds or get some younger pullets. I start replacing my laying hens when they get to be around 3-4 years old (depending on breed). I sell them as stew hens or we butcher them ourselves and they are replaced with younger birds. But, if are unhappy with the particular birds, like bobbi-j said, there's no sense in wasting your money on feed or your time on something you don't enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Get rid of them and start over. No reason at all to keep an animal you flat don't like.

6. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    Thanks for the help! I'm going to talk to my family tonight about it.

7. AnnieE

AnnieE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    Southeast Michigan
    You could also try and find them a home. Just because you don't want them doesn't mean others don't. I personally just adopted 2 non-laying retirees because i don't care about the eggs.

2 people like this.
  8. Onebroodymomma

Onebroodymomma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2014
    I have two I don't like at all, a similar situation. I got them from someone who was wanting to go a different direction with his flock. They are very scared and won't let me near them. I am ready to put them in a pot.
    At first, all of the ones I got (about 6 of them) were not nice and would not let me get close. Now I can handle and "pet" 4 of them, the other two are still just as shy as the day I got them though

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - provide them with either a new home or freezer camp after a humane death.

10. AnnieE

AnnieE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    Southeast Michigan
    @Onebroodymomma - Maybe they were mistreated at their old place? How long have you had them? Maybe it'll just take time for them to trust you.

General - I've had 6 of mine since they were baby chicks and it took ~8 months before i was able to *sometimes* pet them. They'll follow me around and huddle near my legs, but they aren't fans of snuggling. I personally, would never kill a chicken because I wasn't getting enough snuggling from them. But that's just me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by