should i get starit run, hens, or roosters?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jaketheeggman, May 14, 2011.

1. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    I am looking at ordering some cornish X and was wondering what would i be best of ordering for getting the most meat for the money?

Hens .91
    Straight Run .99
    roosters 1.12

2. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I was thinking about ordering cornish X for meat myself, but then decided on a dual purpose breed instead, and I went with a straight run. The reason being is I can process the rest except maybe 2 or 3 females and one Roo so that way I do not have to buy more and I can keep reproducing my own when needed, and have eggs as well.

but if you are intent on cornish X and want more meat for your buck I would go for the roos as they get larger. Roos will be fine together as long as there are no hens to fight over.

Ema

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Roosters only for me. Yes, they eat more, but you end up with larger birds. No, they won't fight.

Nice price, by the way. Local to you? Mine were $1.55 each, delivered.

4. cattleman999

cattleman999 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:What breed of DP bird did you go with and what have you thought of the results?

5. cockadoodledude

cockadoodledude New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Quote:It's my first time raising chickens as well. I have 25 Cornish X straight run coming in 2 weeks. Should I separate the ROOs out? If so, when should it be done?

6. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:It's my first time raising chickens as well. I have 25 Cornish X straight run coming in 2 weeks. Should I separate the ROOs out? If so, when should it be done?

Nope, no need to separate, they will be processed long before they become sexually mature.

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I like to get str8 run due to how we process. I get 110 chicks every other week. We process half (mostly cockerals) at 7 weeks and then the other half (the pullets) at 8 weeks. Generally the pullets will be just slightly lighter than the boys after holding them back an additional week.

8. KaneMoa

KaneMoa Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I usually get the cockerels. Way bigger bird for your buck. Ya they eat a lot but they are considerably larger than the pullets, and ready a lot faster. Even if they scuffle a little its no big deal, they don't have spurs yet.

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We get straight run and process them all the same day since some people like a little smaller bird and some people like a little larger bird.

10. cockadoodledude

cockadoodledude New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Renee' :

Nope, no need to separate, they will be processed long before they become sexually mature.​

Thanks for the tidbit Renee

Cheers!
    C

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by