1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I get them?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by <3ChickenForever, Jun 5, 2011.

1. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    We are planning MAYBE on getting guineas. Can They be free ranged with my chickens? Or will they run away? Can they have chicken feed? Are they mean at all?

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    <3ChickenForever :

We are planning MAYBE on getting guineas. Can They be free ranged with my chickens? Or will they run away? Can they have chicken feed? Are they mean at all?

They can be free ranged with your chickens, but you should plan on getting at least 10 or they may pick on your chickens when they get older. Some have had luck with fewer, but that's the general recommendation. They won't run away if you raise them from keets and/or keep them penned up for a while so they get used to where home is. Yes, they can have chicken feed. Game bird feed is better, but mine did fine on chicken feed. My guineas were never mean to people but they are very very very noisy, so keep that in mind!​

3. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:They can be free ranged with your chickens, but you should plan on getting at least 10 or they may pick on your chickens when they get older. Some have had luck with fewer, but that's the general recommendation. They won't run away if you raise them from keets and/or keep them penned up for a while so they get used to where home is. Yes, they can have chicken feed. Game bird feed is better, but mine did fine on chicken feed. My guineas were never mean to people but they are very very very noisy, so keep that in mind!

I have 2 roos and 17 hens. Are just the males noisy or hens too?

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    <3ChickenForever :

Quote:They can be free ranged with your chickens, but you should plan on getting at least 10 or they may pick on your chickens when they get older. Some have had luck with fewer, but that's the general recommendation. They won't run away if you raise them from keets and/or keep them penned up for a while so they get used to where home is. Yes, they can have chicken feed. Game bird feed is better, but mine did fine on chicken feed. My guineas were never mean to people but they are very very very noisy, so keep that in mind!

I have 2 roos and 17 hens. Are just the males noisy or hens too?​

They are both noisy. My hens would not.shut.up. [​IMG] Other than the noise, loved my goony guineas!

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, they can free range with chickens. I feed mine gambird feed. If they don't know where "home" is, it's a chance that they may run away. Many years ago, when I first got guineas, they ran down the road ( i live in the country) at night but came home at night to roost in the pecan trees. This time around, I am have a "Guin Pen" that has been built for them to live in for a few months, so that they will know where home is.

Keep us posted about your decision. You will enjoy them if you decide to get them.

6. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Oh thank you! We wanna get them mainly to eat all our darned wood-ticks out there [​IMG]
    And I will keep you guys posted! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by