Should I get this one?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by imamtgrandma2, Dec 18, 2010.

1. imamtgrandma2

imamtgrandma2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
    I'm looking to build/buy a new coop next Spring. I currently have 4 hens and MIGHT add 2 more but now more than 6 total.
    I have this coop currently http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/The-Foursquare-Coop-with-Run-Ships-Free-p720.aspx
    While
    this is adequate (verrrry cozy for my 4 Girls) I want something I can really get into to clean and have electricity for lights, etc. so I am looking at the one on the lower right (gray) which has options I like.
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/The-Foursquare-Coop-with-Run-Ships-Free-p720.aspx
    The prices seem quite a bit cheaper than others of this style I have seen. I'm hoping to find a similar one on the West Coast to save on shipping. I do have plans for a similar one but I'm not a carpenter so I'm a bit scared to start something I can't handle.
    Suggestions?? Advice??? Comments??
    Thanks.

2. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    The coop you linked to only has 4 sq feet in the interior (20 inches x 26 inches). That's not nearly enough for four chickens, no matter what MPC says. To have happy and healthy birds, you need about four times that amount of space for your four hens. You'd be better off buying a used shed or childrens play house to turn into a coop.

3. imamtgrandma2

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
  4. imamtgrandma2

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
    The gray one on the bottom right.

5. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    It's cute. It's similar to one I have, although I am not sure how they can say 8-10 standard chickens will fit in there. I think that would be a little tight.

I will caution you, I am short at 5 feet, and I have to sort of stoop over in mine to move around but I can get into it.

6. imamtgrandma2

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
    Like I said, I won't EVER have more than 6 chickens...I have more eggs NOW than I know what to do with and I only have 4 hens right now.
    I don't NEED to stand up right in the coop...just not break my back bending over like I do now to work in the little coop.

7. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Well, I'll give you my own impressions and advice. It's a cute coop. It will certainly be fine for 4 hens. I wouldn't put more than that in there. It will also be a royal pain to clean out. And it's expensive. For $800, we built an 8 foot by 8 foot coop for our chickens. It's 8 feet high, has a concrete floor and a sloped roof and a real person door. In the winter, I walk in the door and close it and I'm inside - no snow, no wind, etc. I know you're not a carpenter... but if you have $835 to spend, you'll get a better building if you hire someone off of Craigslist to build you a basic coop. My two cents.

Ok - a thought of a few more thoughts... if your chickens will spend time inside during the winter, this coop is too small for 6 chickens. 4 - yes. 6 - no. Also, it doesn't look like it has adequate ventilation so you might need to cut some vents under the roof. And how are you supposed to clean it out? I can't tell where the opening is. I can tell you, though, that a coop that's 4x4 is one of the worst sizes to clean out. It's not big enough for you to walk into to clean it out and it's too big to comfortably reach in. My first coop was 4x3 and I hated it because I ended up sprawled out on the coop floor to reach the corners (because I couldn't stand comfortably).

I still vote that you take the $835 and hire someone to build you a coop that is about double the size of the one you're considering. That way you can have 6 chickens plus space to store feed and actually move around inside. You can find basic plans for free online, or here at BYC. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
  8. imamtgrandma2

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
    Cynanthus...do you have pics? That's why I'm checking things out now..in the dead of winter...before I make any decisions.
    I have plans for a 4X8 coop similar to this one ... It has 2 windows instead of 1.
    We have snow here too so I'd like to "not have my butt hanging out when I'm cleaning".
    I'll take all the advice I can get.
    By the way, my Girls are out all the time (in an extended, covered run) so they are only inside the little coop at night. They seem happy and we get 3-4 eggs every day so they must be ok.

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I wholeheartedly agree about finding someone locally who can build you the coop you really want, rather than paying shipping for a prefab coop that you'll need to modify anyway. Those prefab ones never have proper ventilation!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by