1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

should i get white guinea fowl

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by birdboy508, Aug 9, 2011.

1. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    i was just wondering if i should get white guinea fowl and how much should i pay i was hoping to spend 30$ or less thank you.

2. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    I love my white guineas! Are you talking about $30 for how many? How old do you want them to be? If you want babies then I wouldn't pay more than $5. I charge $3 for mine. Adults I wouldn't pay more than maybe $12. I would want keet cause then you don't have to be worried about them flying off.
    Hope that helped! [​IMG]
    -Ashley

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I have white guinea and think they are wonderful.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't think anyone can tell you if you should or not, that sounds like a personal decision. Many people say the white are more prone to predation but I have some ivory (I think) that are almost white and don't have predator problems except with setting hens. As for price, I don't think I've ever seen one sell for more than $15, and that's the highest I've seen and only a one-time deal.

ETA pics of some of mine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I had HAD white pidgons once. With them, yes hawks can see them better. I don't think that is the same for Guinea. I have Midget white turkeys that think they are Guinea and so allot of the guinea flock is white if you figure in the turkeys and white guinea. I have some pied too. I don't think that preditors are an issue with them. Some birds, yes.. Guinea, no.

6. birdboy508

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    hey shelleyd2008 i dont have to worry about predators because i keep my birds in cages.[​IMG]

7. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:the fellow I bought my guineas from says hawks here definintely hunt the white ones better... he's lost almost all of his whites and only a couple of the darker birds over the last several years. we're in SW MO.

8. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:Guineas are much happier when let out to free range... plus they can't do much for tick and bug control if they are kept caged. Do you mean actual cages, or something like a chicken tractor? [​IMG]

9. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I have lost all but one pied guinea to predators. Lost my only white chicken to hawks as well. White birds don't fair well here. I did hatch - white keet I am keeping & I have several buff dundotte. We will see how long they last but I don't think it will be long.

10. birdboy508

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    peeps i have mine in an actual cage should i let them free range i am building an outdoor dog cage and it has grass so should i put them in there in the day time and bring them in at night also do they eat grass.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by