should I give Baby girl Valzabanz?too? yall think vet knew what hes doing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyearth, Feb 25, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    VET SAID FECAL TEST wasnt necessary.... I should have insisted and [paid for it....
    she still has diaherre . coursed she is not eating a whole lot or drinking lots...
    I have her in the bathroom and kitchen area. on floor of course...
    I wish I would remember to charge my mp3 rec /player small one and use it when I isit docotors of any kind. cause I cant remember eactly what they say....
    Most Drs dont like to be,questioned their judement etc...
    dang so hard to get her to take a medicine syringe. she fights like heck and shrinks away....
    The Veraflox was $35 in the take home 15ml... says on pckg. for "cats".

have been giving probiotics and vitamins since she was a chick....
    But they dont always drink it... esp if they find puddles or snow etc......

UPDATE from original post

took Baby girl to same vet place as before 40 miles one way.... but diff VET now there. At least she was not the only chicken there.....Couldnt believe a lady was waiting to leave that had seen the vet for her hen......WOW wow....
    He looked at her stool but said float test was necessary…. HUM.......
    well he gave her a shot of Baytril then a package of oral suspension (35.00) for just the take home of VERAFLOX.....
    DO YALL think he knows what he is doing when it comes to chickens????
    I need to know what yall think so I can give her a dose of Veraflox..>>>>.esp if it is worms
    ALSO WHY would I mix up a whole gallon for one bird>>> the four of them dont even drink 1 gallon a day......
    thanks yall

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    ... Is this from the same thread as before? You don't need to start a new thread for each update.. Just respond to the original thread you created.

The people who reply on here with help are also helping a hundred other people with a million chickens. It's really hard to keep it all straight, especially if a new thread gets created for the same chicken over and over. :/

Help us help you. <3

Thanks.

So he said the test was NECESSARY or UNnecessary?

If he gave you medication, follow his dosing instructions.

You don't have to mix a WHOLE gallon. Do the math and correct the dosage. For a half gallon, half the dose. For a quart, quarter the dose.

MrsB

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did he say to put the Veraflox in water?

-Kathy

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Veraflox for cats treats the following conditions in cats along with the listed side effects:
    http://www.petmartpharmacy.com/view/?ref=10568
    Does your hen have any of the symptoms listed in the link ie...bacterial respiratory issues, bacterial skin infection?

5. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    heck, the SIdE EFFECTs LISTED IS DIARRHEA AND Nausea. I took her BECAUSE ...because of diarrhea green poop diarrhea....
    If he didnt look at her poop under microscope how does he know she has bacterial infection.... ?????I need to call him , THE VET, since receipt does not show diagnosis....
    wish could have found a specilist close... as it, we had to travel 40 miles..
    other two vets in town, just said over phone "not familar enough with chickens to help." "go to TSC and get antiobiotics"
    what is criteria for taking her back outside? she hats it in here...... cold till least Monday and it is so wet outside with all the snow melting.... stiill mostly just muddy path so far for chickens.. to trasvere. Finally some ground is showing in place.temp overnite from 9 to 12 degrees then twenty overnite, more snow predicted and more rain.... mm i believe the groundhog saw his shadow...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Veraflox is like Baytril, and probably a good choice, though Baytril would have been less expensive.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I'd bet it can be used for the same way as Baytril and Cipro.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think that diarrhea and nausea are common side effects in many antibiotics, so don't worry about it and give the Veraflox as directed.

-Kathy

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

10. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    so how do I know when she is well? , since diarrhea is a side effect.and that with green poop is er problem.... still has some green poo in the watery thick diarrhea.. when can she go out.. How pray tell me she is well? how can I tell if this is all mostly worms? or both? may get to 60 next week only DAYTIME
    though.rest of week 30s and 40s and lots of chances of rain or snow in between,,,,, I just hope the other three outside dont have this whatever she has......because Roo in house would go crazy plus us.. and the other two hens are so "touch me nots"
    Thanks Yall ... I hate that spinning color ball that was the cursor waiting for a page to load , guess My Mac little mini Mac capacity is about full...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by