Should i give her a nest box?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 18, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have a pekin hen and she always picks out a place and builds herself a nest and then lays her eggs in that same spot. she makes the nest bigger and bigger each day. should i make her a nest box or would it just go to waste?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have no experience with ducks so I can't help but thought I'd get this up front again so the right people can see and help you.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    if you do she will probably find a new spot, duck don't seem to like nest boxes [​IMG]

4. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I just put a new nest box (rectangular plastic recycling box, on its side w/straw inside and a 4"x4" piece of wood in front to prevent them from kicking the straw out) in my duck enclosure and within 30 seconds of setting it up all three of my girls were climbing in to check it out. Since then all three of them have laid in there every day! They absolutely love it. And I love not finding eggs in the mud!

I should also say that my ducks do not free range, they are in an enclosure. If they were to free range they might find a spot they'd prefer over the nest box.

I've found that a nest box for ducks does not have to be fancy or complicated. In our pekin pen we use a plastic garbage barrel (clean), on it's side with straw inside.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    wish I could get mine to use a box,

6. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Mee too!!! My lazy ducks just lay their eggs where ever they are at the time... [​IMG]

7. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    she always lays her egg in the house, either at night or in the morning, i'm not sure. i've only found one egg out at the pond. but she used to just lay where ever she wanted when she started laying last fall (we found one in their pool once!), but since spring (shes not even a year old yet) she's been building a nest. we moved the house today and she had a perfect little nest going. she had collected all the hay pieces left from winter and had TONS of feathers in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by