Should I give her oster shell?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Sep 15, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    My rouen duck has been laying eggs for a little under a week. She has layed 1 egg every day. The eggs have no problem, but I was wondering should give she some just incase?

2. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I have heard this....put some out. If she needs it, she will eat it, if she doesn't she won't. I haven't bought any yet, I am waiting till spring. But, I did price it, and it is realllllly cheap, the bag is fairly big, so I am thinking it will last FOREVER! And, I think I read somewhere that it doesn't go bad. Is this right?

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    No, it doesnt go bad. My mom has a HUGE bag of oster shell that she doesnt use, I think I will give her some a bit later. Thanks bayyjayy

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

yes. set out a dish... she will thank you !!

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok, I will do that when I get home. I need to do some shopping real quick. Can I mash her egg shells up and give them back to her? Or no?

6. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

yes you can do that. mine know when they need oyster shell and they gobble it like candy when they need it,
    the boys ( who do NOT need that xtra calcium) pecked at it once and completely ignore it !! and it is cheap,easier
    than adding their shells (IMO) and lasts forever. I just set a dish along side their feed and water.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok. I will give her some later, I dont think she will need it though. Her shells are sooooo thick I can barley get though it without hurting the yoke.

And I shouldnt let the boys have any?

8. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    The boys won't eat it because they don't need it. Weird how animals just know what they need. I had this EXACT question awhile ago, and this was my answer!

9. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Yup, just set some out and if she needs it she will eat it [​IMG] the boys wont touch it. I am filling mine ever few days because they are always knocking the bowl over [​IMG] I havent found a spot yet that they wont knock it over.

10. Rosewarrior

Rosewarrior Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2011
    I did it for my Khaki Campbell, she loved it! My boy was stupid, he would eat it and then spit it out and do it again! lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by