Should I give Mama Hen her hay back?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Feb 1, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Since Friday when my SF hatched her chicks the temps. have been in the 70s and 80s. After two days I took her hay nest away and gave her a thick pile of pine shavings instead, so the chicks could have an easier time of moving around (they're very active).

Today it's not likely to reach 30 degrees and there is strong winds and tonights lows are s'posed to be in the teens. The coop is draft free and mama's crate is cozy, but still...

Should I give mama some hay tonight to help her keep the babies nice and warm?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I don't think that they will need it, she will keep them warm, but might make you feel better. I think if they are very active, she is doing fine with them, and should even with the change in temperature.

Dried off babies can take way more cold than the wet ones, she will call a 'time out' during the day, and all the chicks will come running to her, and snuggle under her for a warm up, it is the funniest thing to see.

if they are dry, and out of a draft, which it sounds like, I don't think you will have a problem. I am assuming that you do not have a moisture problem in your coop.

MrsK

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that they will be OK without it, but now that they are more agile adding hay shouldn't cause any problems.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks, the chicks seem to be doing fine without any hay added. I just gave them fresh water and food. I didn't want to upset mama by adding hay in her sanctuary, so I left her alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by