Should I give my baby chicks grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thebreakfastclub, Apr 27, 2011.

1. thebreakfastclub

thebreakfastclub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Luck
    We recieved 27 chicks on Monday...3 have died so far and we are very sad, but I know that sometimes happens. My husband and I are wondering if we need to buy chicken grit (something other than the medicated starter feed we are giving them)? Also does anyone build little "roosts" for the chicks while in the brooder? Thanks

2. jaimepowell

jaimepowell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Wellsville
    Mine are 7 weeks old and still on medicated feed only. I built a little roost for them in thier brooder and it took them a couple weeks to figure out what it was and what it was for but after that they loved it!

3. countrychick14

countrychick14 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Sorry to hear about your family losing the 3 chicks. [​IMG] Grit is not necessary if your chicks are only eating feed and nothing else. No treats, veggies, grass. They can break down their food without the grit. I give my chicks grit after day 7. I like to feed them little treats, or maybe a little bit of grass clippings. I buy the "chick" grit, not regular grit, its a lot smaller. I sprinkle it over their food, like I am salting my food. Not to much so they don't fill up on the grit, and not their food. I think it's important because it does help digest their food, since they don't have any teeth. I don't put roosts in with my meat chickens, because of breast blisters. I do with my bantams and standards. I generally do that on week 2 sometime. I don't feel that it really matters when you do it though. Just when you get a chance. Hope I helped some. Enjoy your babies!

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I put a little dish of grit in when they started eating food other than the commercially prepared feed. They seemed to know how much to take and what size of grit to choose. My chicks are using their water bucket for jumping practice. Roosts are fun for them but don't expect them to sleep there.

5. Blazer

Blazer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    I also have 2 roosts in my brooder box. One is about 5" off the ground and the other is about 8" off. Since their coop isn't quite ready yet, I thought I'd give them something to do until I finish it in the next weekend or two. They love getting up there to perch or practice flying down. My birds are almost 5 weeks old and I have been letting them have sand/grit along with treats and medicated feed the last 2 weeks.

6. brewmonkey

brewmonkey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Hesperia
    Our chicks are not quite 2 month old and we started giving them grit after about 1 week old. We put it into a separate dish so that they could decide how much or how little they needed. Of course they made a mess and spilled it a few times but they got tha hang of it. What we bought was Parakeet grit from the Pet Store.

Now that they go outside sometimes, they no longer seem to need it as there is enough dirt/sand where they roam. Sorry to hear some of your babies died.

We also put little 1/2" or so diameter sticks into the brooder for the chickens to practice roosting. It was quite funny to watch them learn but they all loved it.

We do wonder about our rooster though, he is the only one that at almost 2 months isn't roosting at all on the roost in our chicken coop. At night him and one of the chicks sleep on the ground and the other four girls sit on their roost. I am wondering if he will learn? Is it too high for him?

7. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    I've had roos that NEVER slept on the roost. I'm not sure if he was just bottom of the order and wasn't allowed or if he didn't like it. It's not like he was a silkie and had too many feathers in his eyes or something. He just always slept in the nest boxes (both before and after the girls were laying eggs). Even after he was the only rooster around, he still slept in the nest boxes. I always knew were to find him at night. I'll never know why he did it, but he was happy there it seemed, so I didn't make a fuss about it or try to get him on the roost. Chickens do what chickens do....

8. bungalow10

bungalow10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Quote:Can you (or anyone else who has little practice roosts) post pictures?

We just got our chicks yesterday and I think it would be nice to build them a little roost or something before they get to go out to their coop.

9. BenAnnaMama

BenAnnaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    I have four 5wo chicks and they are outside in my grass all day long pecking in the grass and enjoying mealworm and small cricket treats when available. They are still on a chick starter feed and I'm wondering if they need grit now that they are eating more bugs. I haven't found a definite rule just a bunch of opinions so I haven't been too concerned. Their food is available to them outside as well as water. Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by