Should I give my flock a monthly/quarterly/yearly annual checkup?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lothomson, Jan 5, 2015.

1. lothomson

lothomson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2015
    Hi,

I only have two SLW pullets, but I am new to chickens and I was wondering if you guys

recommend having an annual checkup/exam that you do for the flock?

Any advice will be gladly accepted.

Hearts, Lauren

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are you looking to take them to a vet?

-Kathy

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Basically if they are eating and drinking normally, pecking and scratching the ground, running around...generally acting like a chicken should...everything should be fine.
    That said; I recommend that you yourself pick them up at least once a month and give them a thorough visual inspection systematically head to tail. Inspect for anything out of the ordinary, for example; peck marks/bumps/injuries on comb/wattles, any kind of swelling on face/head/eyes, look inside mouth for lesions, gunk in ears, injuries/bumps anywhere on the body, external parasites, inspect legs/feet and bottom of feet for scabs or lifted scales, inspect vent closely for caked feces on feather and fluff/external parasites or blood. Flock exam includes proper feed/fresh clean water, coop cleanliness, and adequate living quarters/space.
    Of course if you find anything out of the ordinary and not sure what to do...post the problem here and you'll get plenty of help.

1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    In addition to what Dawg suggested, I would weigh them. Weight loss or lack of weight gain is often the first sign of illness. I use a digital kitchen scale to weigh mine.

[​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by